WEEK 8: William & Mary 27, Maine 20

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: WEEK 8: Maine at William & Mary

Postby BearDown » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:03 pm

Penalties. Penalties. Penalties.
BearDown

Postby dunbar » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:19 pm

Poor discipline: a Maine Football tradition.
dunbar

Postby Muchups » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:29 pm

I've never seen a more blatant interference than on that pass to Blair near the sideline. I'm not blaming the officiating. It's Maine's fault they're down. It's just painful to listen to these W&M announcers.
Muchups

Postby dunbar » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:52 pm

Brutal. W&M deserves that win. Hats off to Laycock. Jimmye has been a class act and the league and college football will be worse without him. Kudos.
dunbar

Postby O Head Man » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:58 pm

The decision to punt on 4th and 2 at the W & M 34 yard line is about as weak as it gets. What a terrible decision. Maine was never the same team after that.
O Head Man

Postby Muchups » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:03 pm

Those two drops on the final series really hurt...

Geez... this team is 4-3 in spite of themselves. I mean I've obviously loved the heroics of the last second field goals but I still have the sinking feeling, and it's basically been every game, that this team isn't playing to its full potential.

I'd like, just for once, to watch this team and feel like they played their best (or at least as close to their best as is reasonable). I feel like in that situation, if you played as well as you could but just lost to a better team, the loss wouldn't sting as much.

On a positive note, Edwards showed up and played a good game.

Now we need to win 3 of 4 to have a chance at playoffs.
Muchups

Postby MattyB » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:19 pm

Black Bears can't overcome William & Mary

The Maine Black Bears entered Saturday's contest at 3-0 in CAA play, but as most fans know, there are no easy games in the CAA.

"We talked all week about not taking them lightly, and we have to do a better job of making sure (the players) get the message," said UMaine Head Coach Joe Harasymiak after a 27-20 loss to William & Mary on Saturday.

"Mistakes just killed us," said quarterback Chris Ferguson, who will be charged with three interceptions for the day, but was the victim of tipped passes and batted balls. "Mistakes and penalties are tough to overcome. This (loss) sucks."

Maine once again got off to a quick scoring start thanks to their defense, as Sterling Sheffield recovered a bad William & Mary snap in the endzone to give Maine an early 7-0 lead. Dean Rotger, who started at quarterback for the Tribe due to an injury to their normal starter, led William & Mary to a touchdown, finding Nick Muse for a 4 yard touchdown pass to tie the game at 7. Maine answered with a Kenny Doak field goal, retaking the lead at 10-7. On the next Black Bears drive, the pendulum swung, as Ferguson's pass was tipped at the line and ended up in the hands of William & Mary's Arman Jones, who scampered 90 yards for the touchdown, giving William & Mary a 4 point lead. Watch: https://twitter.com/MBRRadio/status/1053744766544961537

"I was looking to throw one to Micah (Wright), one of the D-Lineman got a hand on it, it went in the air and it went the other way," explained Ferguson.

Ramon Jefferson scampered in from 24 yards out with six minutes left in the first half to cap-off a 10 play 82 yard drive and give Maine a 17-14 Lead. It would be there last lead of the day. Watch: https://t.co/0TyOejqwu5

The third quarter was a defensive struggle filled with self-inflicted mistakes, including a 15 yard penalty on Ramon Jefferson that moved a Kenny Doak Field Goal attempt back 15 yards. William & Mary tied it on a 36 yard field with 6:49 left in the third quarter.

"They had a plan (in the second half), not letting their guys get beat deep and keeping plays in front of them," said Ferguson, who finished 26-46 for 278 yards and a touchdown.

"They went three down (linemen) to start the second half...they dominated the line of scrimmage, they ran the ball and made it tough," said Harasymiak in the post game.

Offensively, Ted Hefter came off the bench for Rotgerand went 12-27 in the second half, but kept drives alive with his legs and found Jalen Christian for 30 yards Early in the 4th Quarter to give the Tribe a 27-17 lead. Maine would get a Doak field goal with 6:47 left, and would get the ball at the W & M 36 yard line with 2:36 left, but Ferguson's first 3 passes were all incomplete, and his 4th on the final drive turned into an interception for Isaiah Laster off a tipped ball. An apt ending to a frustrating day for the Black Bears. Watch: https://twitter.com/MBRRadio/status/1053780366283161600

"Have to give William & Mary's coaches and players some credit," said Harasymiak after the game. "Third string quarterback, backup tailback, they out coached us today. Credit to them."

Maine is home next weekend for homecoming against Albany with a chance to right the ship.

"We've got to get back to being us," said Harasymiak."The message to the team was 'You got caught today'. We've got to get back to practicing well. We're 3-1 in the league, and we have to take each week one at a time."

Post-Game Interviews:

Highlights: https://www.instagram.com/mbrradio
Twitter.com/MattyBRadio
105Sports.com
MattyB

Postby augie » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:24 pm

Last edited by augie on Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
augie

Re: WEEK 8: William & Mary 27, Maine 20

Postby BearDown » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:07 am

11 - 113 CMU
16 - 197 Rhode Island
13 - 130 William and Mary
40 penalties for 440 yds in 3 games.

FORTY PENALTIES! for FOUR HUNDRED AND FORTY YARDS! in THREE GAMES!

You'd think a week after having one of the most penalized performances in recent memory that we could at least, I don't know, cut in half the number of penalties. Nope.

They were killers too...after long kick returns...negating an interception (and while W&M didn't score on the drive it still prevented us for driving for a FG to end the half)...15 yarder pushing Doak out of legitimate range in 2nd half.

Look...this wasn't THE reason they lost this week but it didn't help...and I've never heard of a team getting nearly 450 yards in penalties over the course of 3 games. We need to stop pointing the fingers at the officials and point them right at ourselves.

I love this program and will defend us in almost any situation...but I will not defend players getting suspended-kicked out of games-and being penalized to this extent. There's been too much of that crap over the last 2-3 seasons and it reeks of an organization that's not disciplined enough.

Get it together boys. There's too much talent and football left to be played to be killing ourselves like this...we have too many other obstacles to overcome in Maine to be successful in the CAA -overcoming ourselves shouldn't have to be one of them.
BearDown

Postby thebam » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:29 am

O Head Man wrote:The decision to punt on 4th and 2 at the W & M 34 yard line is about as weak as it gets. What a terrible decision. Maine was never the same team after that.

This is indefensible. If you have a defense that you trust ( do we? ) you should never, ever under any circumstance punt the ball from inside the opponents 40. EVER. 4 plays to get 10 yards. 2.5 yards per play and it's a first down. This infuriates me.
thebam

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics