HS baseball experiencing a power shortage

post info & talk all things baseball...

HS baseball experiencing a power shortage

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:58 am

Unlike the big leagues, high school baseball experiencing a power shortage

...Like most young ballplayers, the Edward Little senior is curious what the analytics would say when he goes deep.

“I don’t know my launch angle and my exit speed, but it’s a really cool stat. It’s a cool way to compare players,” he said

Compared to his high school peers, Hartley is bucking the trend in that started in 2012, when the National Federation of State High School Associations mandated BBCOR bats for player safety.

The bats reduced the size of the “sweet spot” on the bat and the “trampoline effect” when the bat makes contact compared to the aluminum or composite bats used at all levels of amateur baseball for decades.

http://www.sunjournal.com/unlike-the-bi ... -shortage/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: HS baseball experiencing a power shortage

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:05 am

Launch angle not taking off in Maine high school baseball
Coaches in state sticking with small ball approach, making contact at plate

...“I’m still old school. Swing the bat level through the zone,” Valley baseball coach Scott Laweryson said.

Added longtime Richmond coach Ryan Gardner: “I don’t think we want to make things too complicated. We’re looking for contact. Get on base in any way.”

There are a few reasons Maine high school baseball coaches eschew launch angle as a hitting strategy, but it all comes back to one key reason: talent level. With so many small schools, putting together a roster is a challenge. Worrying about launch angle is graduate level baseball. A majority of players in the state are playing the game on a simpler level.

https://www.centralmaine.com/2018/04/14 ... -baseball/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Return to Baseball: Maine High School & Amateur