Previews 2018:

post info & talk all things baseball...

Re: Previews 2018:

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:35 am

MDI set to build on 2017 run

...The situation is similar to what MDI boys’ teams faced in other sports this year: the Trojans lost some key players from last year, but the team should have enough talent in enough places to be at the top of the Penobscot Valley Conference.

“We have the benefit of having a lot of kids this year,” MDI Head Coach Andy Pooler said. “Even when you consider what we’ve lost, I think it’s a deep team with a lot of quality players.”

Gone are Seth Clark, MDI’s top pitcher last year with 48 strikeouts and an earned run average of 1.90 in the regular season, and Drew Shea, who finished tied for fifth in the league in doubles (four) and first in triples (two). All-PVC selection Riley Swanson also has departed, as have Aaron Snurkowski, Mac Shea and Ezra Johnson.

https://www.mdislander.com/sports/baseb ... n-2017-run
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:31 am

Leadership key for young Orono baseball team

ORONO -The legend of the 2017 Orono High School baseball team's improbable run to a Class C state title will live on for ages.

"There were times I'd walk down the street to Ampersand's to get a cup of coffee. Someone would pull up beside me and say 'Coach Joseph, that was one of the most exciting games I ever saw,'" head coach Don Joseph said.

https://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/2 ... eball-team
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:04 am

notes: Class shakeups alter baseball, softball, track landscapes
Erskine baseball finds answer at catcher in Jorgensen.

...With more schools dealing with shrinking enrollment across the state, Class A North baseball is down to a dozen teams. Longtime Class A programs at Lawrence and Brewer are now in Class B. In the Kennebec Valley Athletic Conference, there will be crossover games between Class A and Class B schools.

Class A Messalonskee will play crossover games against regional rivals Waterville, Winslow and Lawrence. Class A Skowhegan will take on Class B foes Lawrence and Nokomis. Longtime rivals Cony and Gardiner will play each other twice, while Cony also will face Erskine.

The crossover game plan is similar to how KVAC schools have scheduled basketball over the last few seasons. Messalonskee coach Ray Bernier said he’s eager to take on Waterville, Winslow and Lawrence. Players from those schools join his Messalonskee players each summer on a joint American Legion baseball team.

https://www.centralmaine.com/2018/04/03 ... andscapes/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:56 am

Houlton Shire baseball reloads for another playoff run

... “I think we have a very strong team,” coach Castner said. “Last year we lost in the playoffs to Orono, who won the state championship. I feel like our goals are to win more games than we lose, have a home playoff game, win northern Maine, and win the state championship. This is the goal of every team, and we just need to accomplish our goals in sequential order and we have the opportunity to achieve our top goal.”

Houlton’s roster includes seniors Isia Bouchard (first base), Colby Callnan (DH/outfield), Seth Holston (OF), Pat Howe (pitcher/OF), Nick Perfitt (pitcher/shortstop) and Morgan Phillips (catcher); juniors Tyler Bailey (P/OF), Nick Brewer (OF), Ryder Graham (third base), Alex WIlde (OF); and sophomores Jason Collett (second base/P/C) and Keegan Gentle (OF/IF).

The team lost four players to graduation — Nick Botting, Cameron Graham, Dylan Johnston, and Thomas Prescott — who all were key contributors for the Shires. Graham led the team in stolen bases (29) and tossed three complete games on the mound, while Botting led the team in hits (32) and RBIs (24).

http://thecounty.me/2018/04/06/sports/s ... ayoff-run/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:46 am

Fosters high school baseball scouting reports

MAINE
CLASS A SOUTH
MARSHWOOD
Coach: Eric Fernandes, 12th season
2017 result: 3-13, did not qualify for Class A South tournament

NOBLE
Coach: Adam Hale, 8th season
2017 result: 5-11, did not qualify for Class A South tournament

CLASS B SOUTH
YORK
Coach: Nick Hanlon, 1st season
2017 result: 15-4 lost to Yarmouth in Class B South championship

CLASS C SOUTH
TRAIP ACADEMY
Coach: Seth Cole, 5th season
2017 result: 10-8, lost to Lisbon in Class C South semifinals

PREP SCHOOL
BERWICK ACADEMY
Coach: Jim Smucker, 5th season
2017 result: 10-5, lost in EIL championship gam

http://www.fosters.com/sports/20180407/ ... ng-reports
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:03 am

Closer to home: Mariner baseball, softball, lacrosse now plays in Rockland
Previously, older athletes played on Thomaston fields — which now are for middle school

Rockland — Those who have the address to the baseball, softball and lacrosse game fields for Oceanside High School in their GPS would be wise to look into reprogramming for the coming spring seasons.

After the school’s teams have played its games in Thomaston since its inception in 2012, the teams now will play games in Rockland after a major overhaul to the baseball and softball fields on Thomaston Street.

The Mariner softball team will play its games at South Field, the baseball team at Robert “Bob” Morrill Field and the lacrosse team at Dr. Wesley Wasgatt Field — all on Thomaston Street — the latter of which also is the school’s football field.

Previously, Mariner baseball and softball teams played games at the fields near Oceanside Middle School (the former Georges Valley High School) and the lacrosse team played on Sam Pendleton Field, which hosts soccer games, all in Thomaston.

https://knox.villagesoup.com/p/closer-t ... nd/1738779
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:05 am

Greater Houlton Christian Academy Eagles return to baseball diamond

HOULTON, Maine — Baseball is returning to Greater Houlton Christian Academy this spring, marking the first time in several years that the school has fielded a team.
Montie Graham will be guiding the Eagles on the diamond this season and brings a wealth of baseball knowledge to the position. Graham coached junior varsity baseball at Houlton from 2004-06 and also guided a junior high baseball team for GHCA from 2016-17. In addition, he has coached for many years in the Houlton Area Little League system and most recently was the coach of the Houlton Junior League team in 2017.

The Eagles already have made several changes to their schedule to accommodate the fact that they have no home field to play on. Practice also has been a problem as the team has not had much chance to get outside to train in a parking lot.

http://thecounty.me/2018/04/10/sports/e ... l-diamond/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:54 am

High school fields not all ready for spring sports

A long winter and a cool spring are leaving many high school fields not ready for sports with the season set to start Thursday.

Gorham High School is good to go, but several other high schools are pushing back this week's games until conditions improve with an eye toward player safety.

http://wgme.com/sports/content/high-sch ... ing-sports
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:37 am

PPH baseball preview: Former minor leaguer Jason Lariviere is a rookie again
Jason Lariviere, who reached Triple-A, is now a first-year high school coach leading a talented team at Thornton Academy.

...When the Thornton Academy job opened after former coach Greg Paradis returned for a one-year stint in 2017, Lariviere was ready for a new challenge.

“I’ve been coaching for awhile and it was time to take my career to the high school ranks and see how it goes,” Lariviere said. “In high school, there’s a lot more on the games. It’s competitive. The games mean a lot. It’s just a different feeling. I could feel it from the first day I started. I like it.”

“I think he’ll figure it out. He’s a sharp kid,” Flaherty said. “He’s been around a lot of baseball and worked with kids. That’s what it’s all about, working with kids. He’ll be able to handle the game part of it and the practice part of it.”

Veteran coaches in the SMAA have not been shy about putting a target on the rookie coach. With talented returners, pitching depth and two key transfers, the Golden Trojans are the consensus preseason favorites.

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/04/11/ ... kie-again/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball: Maine High School & Amateur