College World Series trip highlight of Belfast native’s base

post info & talk all things baseball...

College World Series trip highlight of Belfast native’s base

Postby BDN » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:05 am

College World Series trip highlight of Belfast native’s baseball career

Dave “Zippy” Thompson said he never thought about being inducted into the University of Maine Sports Hall of Fame — or any hall of fame.

So when he found out that he was being inducted into the UMaine hall next month, he was caught completely off guard.

“Was I surprised? Good Lord…,” said Thompson, the captain and third baseman for the Black Bears’ 1964 College World Series team. “I was very pleased. I was very humbled by it because there were players who were far better than I was. For an old goat like me, it is a terrific honor.”

Thompson, a left-handed hitter, led the Black Bears to a 3-2 record and a third-place finish at the CWS in Omaha, Nebraska. He hit safely in all five games and batted .315 average to earn a spot on the all-tourney team.

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/08/29/s ... ll-career/
BDN

Re: College World Series trip highlight of Belfast native’s

Postby Village Soup » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:07 am

Crosby School standout Thompson enters UMaine Hall of Fame
Thompson helped lead UMaine to 1964 College World Series

...ORONO — David Thompson was a standout athlete at Crosby High School in Belfast in the early 1960s, as he played football, basketball and baseball for the Lions.

However, his athletic prowess did not end in Waldo County as Thompson went on to become a mainstay on the baseball team for the University of Maine, helping lead the Black Bears to an improbable third-place finish at the 1964 College World Series.

Ultimately, his performance on the diamond as a Black Bear would go down in history. And now, Thompson is set to be honored for those efforts.

https://waldo.villagesoup.com/p/crosby- ... me/1685091
Village Soup

Return to Baseball: Maine High School & Amateur