BANGOR WINS 4TH STRAIGHT STATE TITLE 4-3 IN EXTRA INNINGS

post info & talk all things baseball...

BANGOR WINS 4TH STRAIGHT STATE TITLE 4-3 IN EXTRA INNINGS

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:28 pm

The 2017 Bangor High Rams baseball team won their 4th straight state class A consecutive championship since they did it 20 years ago in 1994-97 with a 1 run 4-3 extra inning game over Falmouth.

Bangor lead 2-0 and Falmouth scored the lst playoff post season run against the Rams since last years semi-final game which was a 6 game run without allowing a run and then scored another run to tie the game at 2-2.

Bangor came from behind in the bottom of the ninth after Falmouth went ahead 3-2 in the top of the 9th.

Derek Fournier, Bangor's catcher had the game winning hit in the bottom of the 9th to drive in the winning run.

At one time Bangor was 11-1 and in first place in the North Heal Point Standings and then proceeded to lose 3 of their last 4 regular season games to finish 12-4 and dropped to 4th place in the heal points.

But, under Coach Morris's leadership the Rams bounced back with 3 shutout wins over number 5 Hampden in the QF, number 1 Oxford Hills in the Semis and number 7 Mt. Aarat in the finals in the Northern A Tournament.

This is Coach Dave Morris's the former outstanding former Bangor catcher's first state championship in his first year as the head coach as he had been the assistant coach for Jeff Fahey for the past 3 state championship games in 2014, 2015 and 2016.

This was Bangor's 13th state championship since 1970, 8 under Veteran former Bangor centerfielder Bob Kelley, 4 under former Bangor centerfielder Jeff Fahey and now this 1 under former Bangor High former Catcher Dave Morris.

Kelley and Fahey were outstanding centerfielders defensively and very outstanding hitters as Morris was an outstanding defensive catcher and excellent handler of pitchers and a clutch Ram hitter. All 3 were team leaders as players.

This has truly been a Bangor Alumni Baseball State Championship run. Former outstanding Bangor High School Players returning to their alma mater to win State Championships.

The Bangor athletic policy of hiring former Bangor High baseball players who have coached in the system has certainly been very successful.

All 3 also coached the Bangor Legion Team sometime during their careers. The past several years Dave Morris has coached the Bangor Legion team with much success which has been a big factor in developing players for the Bangor program over the years
bcbc55

Re: BANGOR WINS 4TH STRAIGHT STATE TITLE 4-3 IN EXTRA INNING

Postby thebam » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:24 pm

http://offtherim.bangordailynews.com/2017/06/20/high-school/bangor-high-baseballs-success-is-bob-kelleys-legacy/

Coach, you get a lot of grief on these boards. Some you earn, some as a result of a generation ( or 3) gap , and some probably just not fair, but I am going to stand and applaud right now. This is the best column you have ever written. I hope everyone takes the time to read it and understand it. Good stuff. Just a great column.
thebam

Postby interloper » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:32 pm

Imagine that, hiring from within and hiring those who have their school in the their blood. I am sure a lot of ADs could learn from that.
interloper

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:59 pm

thebam wrote:http://offtherim.bangordailynews.com/2017/06/20/high-school/bangor-high-baseballs-success-is-bob-kelleys-legacy/

Coach, you get a lot of grief on these boards. Some you earn, some as a result of a generation ( or 3) gap , and some probably just not fair, but I am going to stand and applaud right now. This is the best column you have ever written. I hope everyone takes the time to read it and understand it. Good stuff. Just a great column.

theBam: Why thank you very much, I enjoyed writing that BLOG.

You are right some of my material I write that I believe in just sets my self up for taking some grief and heat.

But that is just always been me. I have always believed as a player, coach, AD and ref that my life's career song has been Aaron Tippen's country song, "If you don't stand for somehing, you will fall for anything."

Again, Bam, thanks for the great compliment. You have made my day, opps, make that my week.

CIM
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:16 pm

TheBam: Now for a post that will probably bring me some grief.

Not being a baseball person, I was wondering why Bangor only got 1 player selected to the Senior North A-B team after they won their 4th consecutive State A Championship.

Could it have been because they finished with 3 losses in 4 games and dropped from 1st at 11-1 to 4th at 12-4 and the voting must have done before the post season.

I thought that Bangor's catcher Derek Fournier who played on 3 of those championships should have made the team seeing that of the 14 North A teams and 15 B teams---- 9 A teams and 9 B teams had at least 1 player selected and 1 A team had 3 and 2 A teams had 2 and 1 B team had 2 and 6 players were catchers including 1 Pitcher/Catcher and the other 5 just listed as catchers.

Just "wonderin", maybe they should not vote until after the regional finals on the Wednesday 8 days before the All-Star game which would give the sponsors of the event still enough time to get the program printed.

Votes could be made on the Internet after the state games on that Wednesday, due by 9:00pm Wednesday night. Then they could be counted that evening or on Thursday.

Seems like players playoff performances should be also considered for All-Star selection.

What do you think Bam? Am I in trouble gain and going to get some grief for this post, knowing that it is not probably politically correct. But it is on the High School Baseball thread about the Bangor-Falmouth game results that I originally posted.
bcbc55

Return to Baseball: Maine High School & Amateur