Class A Tournament: States 6/17 Falmouth vs Bangor

post info & talk all things baseball...

Re: Class A: Tournament Thread.. Prelims begin June 6

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:01 am

AUDIO: The B-List: Dave Wing for HS Baseball/Softball Preview

Dave Wing, who will be on the call with Aaron Morse for both Oxford Hills baseball and softball games Saturday, stops by the B-List in the final segment to preview those games and Steve and Matty talk about the El/Mt Ararat game in the third segment, and they get you caught up on the latest in pro sports, including why the Price is Wrong in Boston. #mesports

https://soundcloud.com/matt-boutwell/cl ... -in-boston
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:47 am

Falmouth survives valiant Portland in extra inning, instant classic

FALMOUTH—The third time was a charm.

Oh my, was it ever a charm.

And an epic.

Make that an instant classic.

Saturday afternoon at Croker Field, in the teams’ third playoff meeting in as many years, Falmouth’s top-ranked baseball team welcomed new rival Portland for a Class A South semifinal that many expected to be a routine victory for the Yachtsmen.

http://www.theforecaster.net/falmouth-s ... t-classic/

*******************************************************************************************************

Falmouth slips past Portland in 9 innings
A hit batter with the bases loaded gives top-ranked Falmouth a 4-3 win over Portland in the Class A South semifinals.

FALMOUTH — Marcus Cady, the No. 9 hitter in the order, was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth inning Saturday, giving top-ranked Falmouth a 4-3 victory against fourth-seeded Portland in a Class A South baseball semifinal.

Falmouth (17-1), the defending regional champion, will play second-seeded Cheverus (17-1) at 3 p.m. Wednesday at St. Joseph’s College for a trip to next Saturday’s state final in Augusta.

“I didn’t think it was going to hit me at first,” said Cady, who was hitless in three at-bats. “There was one out so basically I was trying to elevate (the ball), get it into the outfield and score the run.”

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/06/10/b ... 9-innings/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:01 am

Cheverus shuts down Gorham
Jack Casale allows one run on four hits as the Stags earn a spot in the regional final.

...Because Casale (6-0, six complete games) threw only 87 pitches, he’ll be available Wednesday. Senior left-hander Jared Brooks, who pitched a one-hitter against Deering in the quarterfinals, is expected to start against Falmouth.

Cheverus also had timely hitting, especially from cleanup man Maxx St. John. His two-strike, two-out RBI double in the second put Cheverus ahead 2-1 and came after Brooks was walked intentionally.

“Adjusting swings in practice the other day, I really put in a lot of time focusing on hitting the outside pitch,” St. John said.

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/06/10/b ... wn-gorham/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:46 am

MBR Video Replay: A North Baseball Semifinal - Mt Ararat Eagles at Edward Little Red Eddies[/size]

Maine Baseball Report‏ @MEBaseballReprt
The replay of @mtahsad baseball's big win over EL today: https://youtu.be/R9fFjlLcupw #mesports

Spectrum Healthcare Partners GOTW on MBR: Mt Ararat at Edward Little
MBR Video Replay . https://t.co/UNNNDcaf7q

*****************************************************************************************************

A North Baseball Semifinal: Eagles come back to haunt Red Eddies

..."Winning games against these top seeds, it just makes us more confident about ourselves," Mt. Ararat junior left fielder Kyle Brennan said. "We want to get to that state championship."

Hunter Lohr, who pitched well for Mt. Ararat in its regular-season loss to EL, scattered seven hits over six innings, and Brennan went 3-for-4 with three RBIs to help the Eagles (10-8) advance to Wednesday's regional final against No. 2 Bangor in Augusta.

Lohr (five strikeouts, two walks), a diminutive sophomore righty with a high leg kick and herky-jerky motion, allowed at least one baserunner in every inning. But he buckled down when he needed to and stranded nine Red Eddies (14-4).

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... es/2147106

*****************************************************************************************************

Hot Eagles win another
Mt. Ararat baseball advances to Class A North regional final

...EL had base runners, but left nine on base against the righty.

“There was no real difference between this game and any other game. I just had to do what I could and use my defense, which was a key,” said Lohr, who pitched well in a 2-1 loss to the Red Eddies on May 24. “Maybe it is the color maroon. I don’t know.”

“He is a hard-working kid,” said Mt. Ararat coach Bob Neron of Lohr. “He won’t be 16 until September, and I was worried that this might be too big of a moment for him. But, I looked in his eyes and knew he was ready.”

“Hunter was better today, had control and hit his spots, and Cam (Cox) behind the plate is a fantastic catcher, a four-year starter and a quality young man who knew every inch to work,” said Red Eddies coach Dave Jordan. “We talked about expanding with two strikes, and in key situations we didn’t hit the ball as well. We just didn’t get the big hit with guys in scoring position.”

http://www.timesrecord.com/news/2017-06 ... other.html
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:52 am

Cowperthwaite, Bangor shut out top-seeded Oxford Hills in semifinals

..."Everything was (working)," Cowperthwaite said. "I haven't thrown my changeup a lot this year, and it started working today. My fastball was on, and threw my curveball for strikes."

Cowperthwaite wasn't overpowering, picking up just two strikeouts during a complete-game effort, but he kept the Vikings (15-3) at bay.

"I thought maybe that he'd tire, but he was throwing strikes," Oxford Hills coach Shane Slicer said. "And hats off to him, he threw a very good game.

"I think he was just peppering the strike zone. He had a little movement on it. He was just going right at us, and we just didn't square it up very well, that's all. Obviously he probably hit his spots, a little bit of tail-in to a righty, so we got jammed a few times."

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... ls/2146964
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby BBOCFAN » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:24 am

Sounds like an interesting game. Rutherford always has his team ready for battle. Somewhat unrelated to game, but a take away is home runs will increase in SMAA next year when teams start playing on Falmouth field.
BBOCFAN

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:34 am

Regional Finals
Wednesday, June 14, 2017
A North regional final: #7-Mt. Ararat vs. #4-Bangor, 5 p.m.
A South regional final: #2-Cheverus vs. #1-Falmouth, 3 p.m.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Nearmitage » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:17 pm

BBOCFAN wrote:Sounds like an interesting game. Rutherford always has his team ready for battle. Somewhat unrelated to game, but a take away is home runs will increase in SMAA next year when teams start playing on Falmouth field.

Curious comment, why would you think that playing on Falmouth field will result in an increas in HR. What are the dimensions vs other fields?
Nearmitage

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:36 am

Cheverus and Falmouth to clash for Class A South title

PORTLAND (WGME) – On the diamond, Cheverus will battle Falmouth for the Class A South Baseball Championship.
Both of these teams are 17-1 and both are built on great pitching and defense.
It'll be a matchup of lefties as Cam Guarino opposes Jared Brooks.

http://wgme.com/sports/content/cheverus ... outh-title
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby BBOCFAN » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:51 am

Nearmitage,
Sorry for delayed response. I don’t know the dimensions, but there are some known fields with short porches in areas (Biddeford right field line, Marshwood corners) or smaller in general (York, Falmouth). A good percentage of home runs each year are at these fields. There used to be a great site on line showing historic and current stats. There was typically a pattern to locations most home runs were hit. The combination of a good hitter on a small home field typically jumped out. Marshwood 3 – 4 years ago had a strong / big group of seniors that hit well. The number of home runs from that team was well above everyone. They did hit homeruns on other fields, but a good portion were at home. I’d expect this to be the case for any team in this scenario.
In this scenario, I assumed the game was at Falmouth because they are higher seed. There were 3 home runs in the Falmouth / Portland game. This isn’t common and influenced by the field. Coming at it from another direction, Portland and Deering are at a disadvantage for home run opportunities due to playing at Hadlock. I didn’t see the home runs this weekend, but would be very surprised if any would have exited the park at Hadlock. Probably long outs or hits there.
The probability of more home runs across the league increases now that SMAA will be playing on Falmouth field in regular season. Same would be true if York was joining SMAA. No intent of comparing players / leagues in A, B, C, D, north, south, etc. Just pointing out statistics show home run opportunities increase. There are professional fields known to be an advantage to hitters also. I appreciate you requesting clarification.
BBOCFAN

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball: Maine High School & Amateur