Player moves

post info & talk all things baseball...

Re: Player moves

Postby jumpman10 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:08 pm

Found this on the "other" website

Defanti chooses Portland
Freshman Phenom will Defani will attend Portland H.S this year in pursuit of a quality education and basketball experience. Coach R has hit the jackpot with this point guard of the now, never mind the future. Will's mannerisms are reminiscent of DI bound Sam LeClerc. Will has a tremendous work ethic and better then average basketball IQ. I fully anticipate Will being an impact player right away, regardless of the teams talent level.

PHS fans shouldn't be too worried. The Bulldogs seem to have a knack for acquiring some pretty good basketball talent from other towns and/or high schools in So. Maine (in recent years- BonnyEagle, So Portland, Cheverus, Deering, Scarborough, and now apparently Kennebunk have all been pretty good to PHS)
jumpman10

Postby Redstormfan » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:08 pm

Mad Dogs 28 wrote:Hammond is playing for Nova Seafood this summer, he is not playing for his old team Franklin County.

Libby-Mitchell just played Nova and I don't remember seeing any new faces. Does he start and what position? We may match up with Nova again in the state tournament.
Redstormfan

Postby bballbro » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:37 pm

If players are transferring for a better program to expand their baseball horizons, wouldn't you want to go to Westbrook, not Deering as Rutherford is a proven coach, and the talent of the young Westbrook team is the future of Class A.............just a comment
bballbro

Postby Redstormfan » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:49 am

bballbro wrote:If players are transferring for a better program to expand their baseball horizons, wouldn't you want to go to Westbrook, not Deering as Rutherford is a proven coach, and the talent of the young Westbrook team is the future of Class A.............just a comment

I think Hammond is an incoming senior. Deering should be even stronger next year, most of their top players are in next year's senior class. Let's face it Deering and Portland get the most attention/press coverage. Probably even the most attention of scouts, college coaches etc. Also D'Andrea is no slouch. Just the opinion of a Scarborough fan.
Redstormfan

Postby blackbearsfan10 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:32 pm

I am a friend of Luke's family and know him personally. redstormfan, Luke doesn't start but I believe he subbed in center in the libby mitchell game and had a couple of ab's. I posted a reply earlier in this discussion saying that there is probably more to Luke's story then meets the eye. I didn't think that it needed to be brought up but the young man's move had little to do w/ baseball. The family had been having some problems amongst themselves aswell as w/ the school system and a joint desicion was made to send Luke to Portland to finish out high school. Portland was chosen b/c Luke's father grew up there, attended Deering high school, and has close friends that Luke is now living with. When interviewed by the newspaper I'm sure Luke didn't want to inform the state of his personal problems so he mentioned baseball. I have spoken w/ Luke and he is aware of how is quote has been discussed on mbr and I assure you that he wishes he could take it back. Right now the young man is just trying to enjoy the rest of his summer and continue playing baseball no matter where that may be.
Best of luck to him.
blackbearsfan10

Postby OldTownBaseball » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:14 am

No one wishes ill will to him. It just sets a bad precident. But it isnt like this is the first incident of this type of activity in HS athletics either..
OldTownBaseball

Postby Redstormfan » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:54 am

Blackbearsfan10, you are right. He did sub in the LM vs. Nova game. My son knows who he is. I really have no problem with the move if it isn't just for baseball which is how it sounds. Deering is the place to go and I wish him luck except for any games against Scarborough. We may see him again in the State tourney. There could be another LM/Nova matchup.
Redstormfan

Postby RaiderC2 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:43 am

I am a teacher/coach and have been since 1979. I have also been an athletic director and principal. Now in addition to that I have had three children in sports thru high school(one more to go).
Now to make this reply as short as possible: I am a big supporter of parental choice and not a supporter of excessive governmental regulations that attempt to take the raising of children away from parents and put it in control of the government(MPA or otherwise). There should be in my opinion very few state laws/rules that prevent parents from sending their[/b] children to the school of the parent's choice. I am more confident of individual authorities within the districts involved to make decisions about [b]their students. However, I would prefer parents have the ultimate say in where/when/how their children attend school. In addition, I would prefer that parents also have the ultimate say as to what courses and what sports their children will participate in.
I certainly am for restricting transfers from participating on two different districts sports' teams during the same sport season. Other then that why should the state get invovled in telling parents that their child can't attend a certain school? Academic, athletic, social, job changes, etc. can all cause families to transfer their children from one school to another. Who has a right to determine for your child which reasons are legit for a transfer? If an academic, athletic, or social experience at a school is not condusive to your child's best interest then parents should have the right to send them to the school that can meet those needs!

Frank Johnson
Parent/coach/teacher/parent/taxpayer
RaiderC2

Postby eaglefan » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:06 pm

Mr Johnson;
I believe the overwhelming response to this thread has been supportive of the Hammond transfer, assuming it is legit. I agree with most of your points with regard to parental choice. I do believe, however, that the state needs to set some guidelines to prevent recruiting of athletes between school districts. The State is not in the business of raising children, but gets dragged into it when the parents fail. The MPA sets limits because people have abused the system in the past. If a student is recruited by a coach or athletic booster to play at a public or private high school in Maine, that is illegal. The coach should have his contract terminated, the booster should be penalized, and the student should have to sit out the season. It is just that simple.

In a perfect world none of this would matter, but unfortunately parents don't always make the best decisions.

Eaglefan
eaglefan

Postby Redstormfan » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:14 pm

eaglefan wrote:Mr Johnson;
I believe the overwhelming response to this thread has been supportive of the Hammond transfer, assuming it is legit. I agree with most of your points with regard to parental choice. I do believe, however, that the state needs to set some guidelines to prevent recruiting of athletes between school districts. The State is not in the business of raising children, but gets dragged into it when the parents fail. The MPA sets limits because people have abused the system in the past. If a student is recruited by a coach or athletic booster to play at a public or private high school in Maine, that is illegal. The coach should have his contract terminated, the booster should be penalized, and the student should have to sit out the season. It is just that simple.

In a perfect world none of this would matter, but unfortunately parents don't always make the best decisions.

Eaglefan

Exactly. I could not have said it any better.
Redstormfan

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball: Maine High School & Amateur