predictions 2009

post info & talk all things baseball...

Re: predictions 2009

Postby baseball6982 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:43 am

As we all found out, Gardiner was legit last year and should continue their success this year. We faced LaValle in the KVAC championship game and from what I remember, he caught quite a hot hand towards the end of the year and pitched his best ball down the stretch. Forrest Chadwick is the real deal and should replace Stilphen as the face of that team. On another note, Chadwick is probably one of the best (if not the best) 3 sport athletes in the state. Keep in mind, he's only a Junior! Gardiner also returns a starting catcher in Alex Wheelock who should be in better shape after recovering from a shoulder injury. They had another kid Cray who I believe is a Junior who should be serviceable on the mound. I got to see them twice last year and am looking forward to the challenge this year.

Waterville has the makings of a very scary team as well. Very young last year and they only lost one senior and return what I think is the best catcher in the KVAC as well as a great player in Mark Gaudette.

Winslow should be competative under Robin Weed who is a fantastic coach. I believe they were fairly young last year and should only improve on their year. Lincoln Academy lost 5 seniors after a surprising year making it to the Western Maine Final against Cape Elizabeth. The Soph/Juniors on their roster should keep them competative this and next year.

These teams should all keep the top of the KVAC very close, I would expect there to be less parody throughout the conference this year with a couple teams falling off and perhaps 1 or 2 running away with things.
baseball6982

Postby egl612 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:50 am

baseball6982 wrote:As we all found out, Gardiner was legit last year and should continue their success this year. We faced LaValle in the KVAC championship game and from what I remember, he caught quite a hot hand towards the end of the year and pitched his best ball down the stretch. Forrest Chadwick is the real deal and should replace Stilphen as the face of that team. On another note, Chadwick is probably one of the best (if not the best) 3 sport athletes in the state. Keep in mind, he's only a Junior! Gardiner also returns a starting catcher in Alex Wheelock who should be in better shape after recovering from a shoulder injury. They had another kid Cray who I believe is a Junior who should be serviceable on the mound. I got to see them twice last year and am looking forward to the challenge this year.

Waterville has the makings of a very scary team as well. Very young last year and they only lost one senior and return what I think is the best catcher in the KVAC as well as a great player in Mark Gaudette.

Winslow should be competative under Robin Weed who is a fantastic coach. I believe they were fairly young last year and should only improve on their year. Lincoln Academy lost 5 seniors after a surprising year making it to the Western Maine Final against Cape Elizabeth. The Soph/Juniors on their roster should keep them competative this and next year.

These teams should all keep the top of the KVAC very close, I would expect there to be less parody throughout the conference this year with a couple teams falling off and perhaps 1 or 2 running away with things.

i think pat kelley is the best all around 3 sport player....
egl612

Postby baseball6982 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:59 am

Where is he from? I can only speak on what I've seen out of Chadwick with football, hockey, and baseball. The thing that impresses me the most is he was only a sophomore when I saw him play. Any other ideas on quality 3 sport athletes? It seems to be a lost art these days.
baseball6982

Postby MABaseball » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:36 pm

OldTownBaseball wrote:How are you so confident MA would have beat every other team that Gardiner defeated? I sure do think alot of the teams who advanced will argue that statement. A week prior to the playoffs, MA came into Old Town and lost 16-6 with the ace pitching. MA will be good this year, dont get me wrong, but Gardiner was the best team in the state, regardless of class. Although MA put up the best "fight," against Gardiner, the game was never really in question. Those from Ellsworth could contend that they put up a better effort, shutting out the Tigers through 5 (correct me if I am wrong).

Everyone wants to hear about their team being in the mix as one of the best. I will be the first to say that putting us (Old Town) in the top 5 is going to be a stretch. Of course we will work hard to be there and get there, but we graduated 8 starters, so you have to be realistic at the same time. I think Ellsworth and Gardiner are going to be the teams to beat, and that by no means is to say other teams wont be good.

and how many of those runs were earned? cuz i remember MA making a lot of errors that game.. not to say old town wasn't good, because they were...
MABaseball

Postby OldTownBaseball » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:32 pm

The second game we played MA was crazy. We scored 12 runs in the second, all with 2 outs, after an error. But the other 4 runs were earned. So take away 12 runs of the 16, and the 4 ER the Lynx scored against us and it was a 4-4 game instead of 16-6..I know its not looked at like that.

And think back to the game in Lincoln, where Old Town gave up 5 earned runs and OT scored 3 earned runs, and that game "was" 5-3 MA instead of 11-5 MA.

Realistically, the two teams last year were very close to each other on the field. Our styles were kind of different with MA having an awesome lineup with relentless hitters. Our team was kind of opposite, with consistent pitching (for the most part) and fundamental defense, our team batting average was .270 last year, so we always took advantage of free outs.

I know as we were awaiting the heals, MA was one of the teams we did not want to face in the playoffs.
OldTownBaseball

Postby Redstormfan » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:01 pm

mchale32 wrote:I agree Westbrook 2009 state champs

I wouldn't count out Deering or Scarborough.
Redstormfan

Postby slurve33 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:50 pm

baseball6982 wrote:Where is he from? I can only speak on what I've seen out of Chadwick with football, hockey, and baseball. The thing that impresses me the most is he was only a sophomore when I saw him play. Any other ideas on quality 3 sport athletes? It seems to be a lost art these days.

he goes to ellsworth. he plays baseball soccer and basketball. some would say soccer is his best sport then baseball then basketball. he is very good at all three and a captain for all of them. he made varsity in all his freshmen year except basketball because they usually keep the freshmen on the freshmen team. then he moved up his sophmore year. can you say he is the best 3 sport athlete IDK. but is he in the running. yes definately.
slurve33

Postby Allstate99 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:52 am

I am sure Pat Kelley is a great 3 sport athlete and is prob one of the best in the state but there is no comparison between the two. Forrest Chadwick as a sophomore dominated 3 sports, winning two state titles and almost a 3rd in hockey. He has been such an incredible athlete on all of the big stages
Allstate99

Postby what? » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:13 pm

i am sorry i am to lazy to read through but where is pat kelley from? and where is forrest chadwick from?
what?

Postby Knklpuck3 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:15 pm

Allstate99 wrote:I am sure Pat Kelley is a great 3 sport athlete and is prob one of the best in the state but there is no comparison between the two. Forrest Chadwick as a sophomore dominated 3 sports, winning two state titles and almost a 3rd in hockey. He has been such an incredible athlete on all of the big stages

Forrest didn't dominate in hockey. Klinton Peckham was far better for Gardiner.
Knklpuck3

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball: Maine High School & Amateur