Legion: 2018

post info & talk all things baseball...

Re: Legion: 2018

Postby MattyB » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:32 pm

Bessey pitcher, coach ejected after pitch-count controversy

BANGOR — Bessey Motors head coach Shane Slicer got word Tuesday night that Colton Carson would not be allowed to pitch in Wednesday American Legion state semifinal because the official scorebook had Carson tallied at 81 pitches.

Slicer and the team decided to start Carson, anyway, even knowing that it would result in an ejection of both coach and player, and after the first pitch of the win-or-go-home game against defending state champion Bangor Coffee News, both coach and player.

Bessey Motors went on to win the game. 1-0, as relievers Troy Johnson and Ashton Kennison combined on a two-hit shutout. The win propelled Bessey to the championship game against Coastal Landscape on Wednesday night.

http://www.sunjournal.com/legion-state- ... ntroversy/

Coastal Landscape Wins State Title: https://twitter.com/StatsMaine/status/1 ... 2256672768

Tough way for the season to come to an end for Bessey Motors. Legion Baseball: Coastal defeats Bessey in rematch, wins state Legion championship: https://t.co/plw2t0ncBj
Twitter.com/MattyinMaine
SportsTime780.com
MattyB

Postby MattyB » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:39 am

American Legion baseball tournament controversy proved little: https://t.co/E8rPrNPfaS
Twitter.com/MattyinMaine
SportsTime780.com
MattyB

Postby MattyB » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:27 am

Slicer's point shouldn't be lost in Legion controversy: https://t.co/jEJsuSj8f6
Twitter.com/MattyinMaine
SportsTime780.com
MattyB

Postby MattyB » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:46 am

Coastal Landscape of Portland beats Rochester NH 2-1 in American Legion baseball northeast regional. Dylan Francoeur went a complete game 3 hitter. Coastal Landscape one of 2 unbeatens left in double elimination tourney #mesports

https://twitter.com/joebaileysports
Twitter.com/MattyinMaine
SportsTime780.com
MattyB

Postby MattyB » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:25 pm

Coastal Landscape of Portland eliminated from American Legion Northeast regional after 17-7 loss to Shrewsbury MA...Cam Dube had 3 hits and James Sinclair 2 RBI in loss

https://twitter.com/joebaileysports/sta ... 5802712065
Twitter.com/MattyinMaine
SportsTime780.com
MattyB

Postby frankj » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:44 pm

I have read through these posts concerning the PC controversy. I would say this without knowing anything more then what has been written: the fault lies as much( or totally) with Coach Slicer's book as with the official scorer. The coach( or his scorer) should have been double checking with official scorer though out that final inning as to the exact totals. In any sport the Official Scorer IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL BOOK; team books are no different then Aunt Sally's being kept in the stands. As a former coach, I understand the coach's frustration, however, the "buck" on this one is at the very least on him.

Coach J
frankj

Postby Willy13 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:05 am

It was an unfortunate situation. The pitch counts arent anything that new. Heres the frustration, and I can see Coach Slicers point...all year each team is required to keep pitch counts, both teams keep pitch counts on each pitcher, and every half inning each team has a representative from each team compare pitch counts. At the end of a game, each coach signs off on the agreed pitch counts of each pitcher. At the legion tourney, there should have been a coaches meeting prior to the tourney, to discuss the official scorer, where to find him during the game..No meeting took place, and neither team was even aware of a official scorer, or notified even where to find the scorer. Both coaches did exactly what they had done all year in regular season, compared notes each half inning, and sign off at the end of the game. Both teams had Carson at 79 pitches..both books were signed off. Slicer was notified at the end of the game, that there was an official scorer, and he had him at 81 pitches. The tournament directors not admitting any wrong doing (by not notifying each coach there was official scorer and where to find him), stood behind the official scorer at 81 pitches. Immediately after this game, pitch counts were announced every half inning by the official scorer over the PA system. This was not done in this game in question, the directors immediately after their lack of communication decided to have these pitch counts announced over the PA. I was at the tourney, I couldnt tellya if Carson threw 79 or 81 pitches, but I do know 3 out of 4 books being kept at that game had him at 79 pitches..The lack of communication by directors may have benched one of the best pitchers in the state for nothing, in a state title game...Im sure changes will be made in the future..
Willy13

Postby lab » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:31 am

frankj wrote:I have read through these posts concerning the PC controversy. I would say this without knowing anything more then what has been written: the fault lies as much( or totally) with Coach Slicer's book as with the official scorer. The coach( or his scorer) should have been double checking with official scorer though out that final inning as to the exact totals. In any sport the Official Scorer IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL BOOK; team books are no different then Aunt Sally's being kept in the stands. As a former coach, I understand the coach's frustration, however, the "buck" on this one is at the very least on him.

Coach J

I would agree with you if the tournament directors would have notified the coaches that there was an official pitch counter. None of the coaches in the game were aware of the "official" pitch count. The opposing coach was also a legion commissioner and he did not know. There was one person in the press booth and he was doing everything, PA, music, scoreboard (which the umpire had to stop the game and have corrected), scorebook, and apparently pitch count. Coaches on the field were keeping the count as they had done every other game during the entire season. After this game they started announcing the pitch count every half inning to notify coaches.
lab

Previous

Return to Baseball: Maine High School & Amateur