Leavitt Running Club not giving up, giving back

post info & talk all things Track and Field...

Postby SJ » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:26 am

...This group isn't just about running, it's about that idea of setting goals," Vallee said. "And I think that as kids reach goals they just feel so good about themselves. And it's also about helping other people. You learn a lot when you're running with a group. You learn how to encourage each other, and you learn how to help each other out, and inspire each other along."

Running, and the Running Club, was the inspiration behind club member Ava Petrin coming up with the idea for the club's next event, the Pasquale's Walk 5K, which will take place Saturday. The walk will serve as a benefit for LAHS Social Studies teacher Pasquale Bifulco, who is battling brain cancer.

"When I first found out about Mr. Bifulco, I wanted to help in some way, so I brought my idea to the Running Club," Petrin, a sophomore, said. "Initially, we met as a small committee and formed a preliminary plan. We decided to host the walk on homecoming weekend so that as many people as possible could be involved. Once school started up in late August, the Leavitt community really pulled together and the pieces started to fall in place."

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... ck/2197495
SJ

Return to Track and Field: Maine High School & Amateur