Maine Sports Hall of Fame: Ian Crocker

post info & talk all things Swimming...

Maine Sports Hall of Fame: Ian Crocker

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat May 20, 2017 5:58 am

12 people to be inducted into the Maine Sports Hall of Fame this weekend

... Dick Capp of Portland was a linebacker for the Green Bay Packers and recovered a fumble in Super Bowl I in 1967, which the Packers won over the Kansas City Chiefs.

Capp captained the 1959 state championship team at Deering, and later went to Worcester Academy and Boston College.

Capp played football and basketball at BC and was coached by Bob Cousy in basketball. He was originally drafted by the Boston Patriots.

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/05/19/s ... s-weekend/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Maine Sports Hall of Fame: Ian Crocker

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun May 21, 2017 3:58 am

Olympian Ian Crocker channels energy into coaching
The Maine native and Olympic gold medalist, now a swimming coach, passes along his love for sport.

...Crocker, a Cheverus High graduate, set world records in the 50- and 100-meter butterfly and the short-course 100-meter freestyle. He earned the first of his three Olympic gold medals at age 18 at the 2000 Olympics in Sydney as a member of the 400 medley relay team. An eight-time world champion, Crocker also won medley relay gold medals in 2004 and 2008, as well as a silver in the 100 freestyle and a bronze in the 400 freestyle relay at the 2004 Athens games. While at the University of Texas, he was the 2004 NCAA swimmer of the year.

“It’s fantastic for the kids to come in to meet and talk and listen to somebody who has been on the world stage,” said Matt Baxter, the Porpoise Swim Club coach. “When I came here nine years ago, the oldest kid we had was 12 or 13, so they didn’t have anybody to look up to. The second year I was here, (Crocker) came in and talked to the kids, and that really got the ball rolling.”

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/05/21/c ... -coaching/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Return to Swimming: Maine High School & Amateur