Focus on antler restrictions might miss greater point

All things hunting..

Focus on antler restrictions might miss greater point

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:33 am

Hunting: Focus on antler restrictions might miss greater point
Though Maine's deer harvest is high, it doesn't tell the whole story.

everal weeks back I discussed antler restrictions and offered some reasons why they might not be widely accepted by some hunters. But I failed to mention a rather important point. A lot of folks have never hunted deer outside Maine. It’s all they’ve ever known and so they lack a relative perspective on how Maine deer hunting stacks up compared to other areas. Below I offer some figures to illustrate the point. The numbers are from the 2013 season because they were the most comprehensive available.

First let’s look at New England. In terms of total harvest, Maine stands clearly above the others at 24,795 deer, nearly double the next-closest states, Connecticut and New Hampshire, at just over 12,500 each. But Maine is a big state. In terms of deer harvested per square mile, Maine comes in last at 0.07. Connecticut and Rhode Island, the region’s smallest and most developed states, lead with hunters annually killing over two deer per square.

http://www.centralmaine.com/2016/01/03/ ... ter-point/
Central Maine (KJ + Sentinel ) - allows 10 free reads per month for non-subscribers.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Return to Hunting