We can’t afford to let deer go down for the count

All things hunting..

We can’t afford to let deer go down for the count

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:10 am

Hunting: We can’t afford to let deer go down for the count
A fledgling organization will serve as the united voice of deer hunters.

BY BOB HUMPHREY
There’s absolutely no question how important the white-tailed deer is, but in case you’re not convinced consider the following. Roughly 11 million people hunt deer every year and 16 million individuals have hunted deer within the last five years. Ninety-seven percent of whitetails and whitetail hunters live in 37 states, and deer are the most sought-after species in 36 of those states. Four times more people hunt deer than the next most sought-after species, generating roughly half of the $87 billion hunting industry and providing 1.2 billion wholesome meals every year for themselves, friends and often complete strangers...

Read more: http://www.pressherald.com/2014/08/24/b ... the-count/
NOTE: Portland Press Herald - allows 10 free reads per month for non-subscribers.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: We can’t afford to let deer go down for the count

Postby wings » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:44 pm

This week, following the early snow, I've hunted the bogs of Albion and Unity, and the foothills of Thorndike. I discovered average to big whitetail tracks and big coyote tracks. What's alarming to me is I didn't come across a yearling or 1 1/2 year old whitetail track...not a good 'sign' for the whitetail herd at least in District 23....
wings

Return to Hunting