Bear populations grew in 2 states that OK’d limits

All things hunting..

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:50 am

Time to get into hunt to bag bear referendum

Maine's annual bear hunt begins Aug. 25 and goes until Sept. 20. If the past is prologue, more than 10,000 hunters will harvest between 2,500 and 3,000 of Maine's bear population, which exceeds 30,000. As state biologists point out, this fall's "take" of oblack bears isn't sufficient to stem Maine's expanding bear population.

Yet, thanks to power politics and a well-funded national anti-hunting movement, this could be Maine's last bear hunt.

Read more: http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... um/1566581
NOTE: Sun Journal - allows 10 free reads per month for non-subscribers.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Battle over bears: Maine hunting practices again in voters’

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:39 pm

Battle over bears: Maine hunting practices again in voters’ hands

By Aislinn Sarnacki..Branches screeched across the windshield of the old Toyota pickup as Troy White drove deeper into the Maine wilderness on an old logging road. Bear bait — buckets filled with crumbling pastries and skinned beaver — rattled against a tree stand in the truck bed. Its pungent, sickly sweet smell drifted through the open windows of the cab.

With Maine’s fall bear hunt fast approaching, White was busy placing bait to lure bears to specific sites throughout the forest. A registered master Maine guide and owner of Mid Maine Outfitters in LaGrange, he has been guiding black bear hunters for the past 25 years. But, depending on the results of a referendum this fall, this may very well be his last season.

read more https://bangordailynews.com/2014/08/15/ ... opStories1
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Battle over bears: Maine hunting practices again in vote

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:04 am

Oregon and Massachusetts find harvesting is harder when some hunting practices are banned.

BY DEIRDRE FLEMING..Two states that banned controversial bear-hunting methods through citizens initiatives in the 1990s have seen growing bear populations despite an increase in hunting permits. In Oregon, where voters approved a measure to ban the use of baits and hounds in bear hunting in 1994, the black bear population has increased by 40 percent. In Massachusetts, where a ballot measure to ban hounds and traps in bear hunts passed in 1996, the bear population has skyrocketed by 700 percent..

Read more: http://www.pressherald.com/2014/08/24/b ... kd-limits/
NOTE: Portland Press Herald - allows 10 free reads per month for non-subscribers.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Bear populations grew in 2 states that OK’d limits

Postby Mike Tomlin » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:52 pm

Personally I'd never hunt with traps, dogs, or over bait. But I don't feel that I have the right to legislate hunting practices that existed before I moved to Maine. I resent the concept that outlawing these practices will create threats from bears. I am still certain that human threats are a bigger problem than bears will ever be.

I support the right to engage in many behaviors that I don't engage in, but never out of fear. Baiting, hounding, and trapping all create jobs. That's all the reason I need to vote.
Mike Tomlin

Return to Hunting