Class B: Tournament: States 6/17 Old Town vs Fryeburg Acad,

post info & talk all things Softball...

Re: Class B: Tournament Thread..

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:08 am

Ellsworth outlasts Nokomis in ‘B’ North softball slugfest

... The 11-6 Eagles, the eighth seed, will travel to take on top seed Gardiner, 15-1, in a Thursday quarterfinal. Ninth seed Nokomis finished at 8-9.

The two teams combined for 30 hits during the entertaining affair and Ellsworth overcame an 8-4 deficit by scoring 10 unanswered runs.

The Warriors rallied for four runs in the top of the seventh but sophomore Mackenzie Chipman struck out the final hitter with the tying runs on base to pick up the complete-game victory.

Nokomis had scored two runs in the top of the fifth to build its lead to 8-4 and had two runners on and two outs when Aren Herrick scalded a line drive to the right of Cote, who fully extended herself to make the catch.

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/06/06/s ... -slugfest/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Class B: Tournament Thread.. Prelims begin June 6

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:27 am

Greely 6, Poland 0

CUMBERLAND — A Madison Rawnsley grand slam in the bottom of the first helped Greely to a 6-0 victory over Poland in a Class B South preliminary game.

The Rangers (10-7) picked up insurance runs in the third and fifth innings.

Sarah Walton's double was one of two hits for the Knights (6-11).

Recap source: SJ

*****************************************************************************************

Greely moves into quarterfinals by beating Poland, 6-0
Kelsey Currier throws a three-hitter and catcher Maddie Rawnsley belts a grand slam for the Rangers

...The Rangers, who started the season with four consecutive losses, have won 10 of 13 and will play No. 4 Yarmouth at 4:30 p.m. Thursday in a regional quarterfinal.

“We’ve come a long ways,” Greely Coach Rob Hale said. “The young kids have improved a lot and we’ve found positions they’re comfortable in, and we have wonderful senior leadership.”

“We’re definitely a different team,” Rawnsley said. “We’ve come together. We’ve worked hard. We work hard in practice and in games, and we’re not getting down on each other. We’ve all been positive, and I think that is been really helpful.”

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/06/06/s ... oland-6-0/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:34 am

June 7 Schedule

B South prelim:
#11-York vs. #6-Gray-New Gloucester, 4 p.m.
#9-Leavitt vs. #8-Cape Elizabeth, 3:30 p.m.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby 44sports » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:17 am

I'm interested in hearing peoples thoughts on the Class B North final Heal point standings. I believe, due to strength of schedule, that two of three teams (MCI, John Bapst, or Erskine) should have been higher seeds than Caribou and Presque Isle. The heal point system did not do those three teams justice this year.
44sports

Postby 44sports » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:46 am

I think I have too much time on my hands. Another Class B scenario regarding the heal points. A 7 seed has 3 wins over playoff teams (none higher that a nine seed) but finishes with a 12 and 4 record. The 8 seed has 5 wins over playoff teams (including over a 4 and 5 seeds) but finishes with a record of 9 and 7. Seems to me the heal point system needs to give more consideration to the quality of wins in its formula.
44sports

Postby EasternMaineSports » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:06 pm

Winslow puts game away with big inning- http://easternmainesports.com/winslow-s ... -old-town/
EasternMaineSports

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:10 am

Old Town softball hoping for repeat run to States

OLD TOWN - The regional quarterfinals are set in high school baseball and softball, meaning the state's top teams on the diamond are getting set to begin their postseason runs. Old Town softball is one of them, looking for a repeat in Class B.

The coyotes are coming off a state championship last spring, when they and the baseball team swept Class B.

It was Old Town who came out of the fray last year, but this season has proven to be just as competitive at the top, and the Coyotes say that competition is what drives them to focus every time out on the field.

http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/20 ... -to-states
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:51 am

Former Husson star relishing first season as Ellsworth softball coach

...“I was very nervous. But it wasn’t a bad nervous. I had butterflies. It was an exciting nervous because I know the girls were capable of competing with anyone. It was just a new experience for me,” said Cameron, who was the 2010 North Atlantic Conference Player of the Year when she played for Husson University in Bangor.

The native of South Plainfield, New Jersey, graduated from Husson in 2012 and was an assistant coach there for one year before joining Rick Roberts’ staff at Ellsworth High School.

Roberts, a renowned pitching instructor, stepped down last year after 18 seasons with the program, the last 10 as the head coach. He resigned so he could work with the Ellsworth pitchers during the offseason as well as continuing to work with pitchers from other communities.

http://extrabases.bangordailynews.com/2 ... /home/179/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:22 am

Thursday June 8 MPA scheduled games

B North quarterfinal: #5-Medomak Valley vs. #4-Oceanside, 4 p.m.
B North quarterfinal: #6-Foxcroft vs. #3-Hermon, 4 p.m.
B North quarterfinal: #7-Winslow vs. #2-Old Town, 3:30 p.m.
B North quarterfinal: #8-Ellsworth vs. #1-Gardiner, 4:30 p.m.

B South quarterfinal: #5-Greely vs. #4-Yarmouth, 4:30 p.m.
B South quarterfinal: #6-Gray-NG vs. #3-Fryeburg Academy, 3 p.m.
B South quarterfinal: #7-Morse vs. #2-Oak Hill, 4 p.m.
B South quarterfinal: #9-Leavitt vs. #1-Wells, 4 p.m.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby GHarvey » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:35 pm

Mazurek blasts Lady Mariners past Medomak Valley in extra innings

[...]

In a nail-biting contest on Thursday that went to extra innings, the Lady Mariners were able to squeak out a 2-1 victory in eight innings to extend their winning streak to 12.

https://www.penbaypilot.com/article/maz ... ings/87371

************************************************************************************

Mariners walk off with come-from-behind playoff win over rival Panthers
Senior Mazurek belts home run in eighth inning to lift Oceanside over Medomak Valley; Ellsworth on-deck
- http://knox.villagesoup.com/p/mariners- ... rs/1659744
GHarvey

PreviousNext

Return to Softball: Maine High School & Amateur