Well-conditioned: Pitchers and catchers report for duty with

post info & talk all things Softball...

Well-conditioned: Pitchers and catchers report for duty with

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:19 am

Well-conditioned: Pitchers and catchers report for duty with area baseball and softball teams
Despite more freedom, some coaches try and keep pitching and catching participants to just the essentials.

... Softball teams took the same approach. Skowhegan Area High School head coach Lee Johnson, who has been at the helm since 2000 and led them to the Class A state championship in 2014 and a regional title a year ago, believes less is more.

He’s not tempted to bring in more players to get a jump on getting in shape.

“I like to make this week more about pitchers and catchers,” Johnson said. “I’ll be honest with you, once you have tryouts and get your teams picked, it’s hard to find time to focus on just your pitchers and your catchers because you’ve got so much going on in a gym with all your other position players.”.

http://www.centralmaine.com/2017/03/20/ ... all-teams/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Well-conditioned: Pitchers and catchers report for duty

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:23 am

Baseball, softball coaches appreciate an earlier start for more players
Some teams take advantage of second-year rule opening up rosters for training week

... Other coaches view it differently. Since the theme of the week, as stated on the MPA’s website, is stretching, strengthening, cardio and recovery, they look at it as a chance to get all players — pitchers, catchers and otherwise — involved, figuring infielders and outfielders will do plenty of throwing as well.

“It’s no longer a pitchers and catchers week,” Cony baseball coach Don Plourde said. “I highly recommend that my kids come. It’s certainly not tryouts, but at the same time, you’ll be a week behind everybody else.”

Some softball coaches think the same way. “I bring in all the kids,” Monmouth coach Dave Kaplan said. “We run through conditioning drills for everybody, which we’re allowed to do now. Throwing drills and conditioning stuff, they’re allowed to do all of that now. … Just the fact of getting them in the gym, getting them acclimated to running again early, it may help prevent injuries. I think it will.”

http://www.centralmaine.com/2017/03/20/ ... e-players/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:32 am

Optimism befitting first day of spring for Phoenix, Ramblers pitchers and catchers

... "I'm really excited," said Oberg, who said she was close to 100 percent and will be ready to go when the Ramblers' season starts April 21 against Dirigo. "I'm glad I'm back for pitchers and catchers. If I wasn't, I'd be crushed. It's a really good opportunity for us because we didn't really stop pitchers and catchers. We've been playing in a dome since January."

The Phoenix have their top three pitchers back and plenty of experience to back them up, so they hope to make their final season in the KVAC a memorable one.

"We have a pretty competitive group of seniors and it's kicking in that it's going to be our last chance to make a good push," junior pitcher Jordan Daigle said. "We've got some experience, so this year I think we definitely have that drive."

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... rs/2096298
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby interloper » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:38 pm

This is the top of the baseball and softball bulletin
BASEBALL SEASON
March 20, 2017 Pitcher / Catcher Conditioning (no limit on number)
March 27, 2017 First Practice
*The purpose of the additional week of arm conditioning for pitchers and catchers is to allow those athletes to begin a conditioning program that will help to begin to build a base and reduce early season arm injuries. Schools may determine who those pitchers and catchers may be, not setting a limit of 8 pitchers and 2 catchers.
The week of conditioning should be a comprehensive program that involves the following components:
Stretching – Proper stretching of the entire body, allowing for preparation of proper mechanics, is crucial. Flexibility and balance are important components of the program.
Strengthening – A throwing program should be progressive and should begin to build a base that athletes will develop throughout the season.
Cardio – Aerobic training designed to build full body endurance to prevent fatigue and overuse injuries is an important component. Recommendation include 20-40 minutes (biking, elliptical, treadmill) three times during the week.
Recovery – Pitchers should be throwing no more than 3-4 times during the week and should be provided the proper amount of rest that allows the arm to recover.
This week of arm conditioning is not intended to be an additional week of preseason practice. Below is a list that includes, but may not be limited to, activities that are prohibited during the week.
 No bats, including fungo bats
 No defensive drills related to positional play
 No pick off drills
 No blocking drills
 No base coverage drills
 No footwork drills, other than proper mechanics for pitchers and catchers
 No live stand-in batters
 No simulations

I can not see how this allows anyone other than pitchers to practice this week.
interloper

Return to Softball: Maine High School & Amateur