Unrealistic game times

post info & talk all things Soccer (GIRLS)...

Unrealistic game times

Postby lovethegame » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:25 pm

There have been a bunch of unrealistic game times during the playoffs this year. The most recent, and best, example is the upcoming Class A North Final with Messalonskee at Camden Hills. This game will be played at 2:30pm. Why so early?! This time makes no sense whatsoever. This doesn't give enough time for Messalonskee fans to make it there, especially with school not getting out there until 2:30, and I can guarantee that a lot of Camden's fans won't be able to attend the game either. Someone I spoke with said, "Well, it is Halloween." That is a valid point, but so what? A reasonable game time would be 3:30 or 4:00.
lovethegame

Re: Unrealistic game times

Postby twoseasons » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:56 pm

The games start earlier than the regular season because the days are shorter now than in early September.
Each half of a soccer game is 40 minutes. There is a ten minute break between halves, and if the game goes into double overtime, that adds 30 more minutes to the game. If the game is not resolved after the 2OT, the game goes to penalty kicks- which can take anywhere from 5 minutes to ? depending on how many are made.
This all means that a soccer game- especially one between the top two teams in the region- could potentially last longer than 2 hours. The sun sets around 5:30. Starting at game at 4:00 means it could be dark well before the game is over. Not every school has lights, and when a team finishes first, they deserve to host the game if their field conditions are playable.
twoseasons

Postby Rob Kennedy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:25 pm

lovethegame wrote:There have been a bunch of unrealistic game times during the playoffs this year. The most recent, and best, example is the upcoming Class A North Final with Messalonskee at Camden Hills. This game will be played at 2:30pm. Why so early?! This time makes no sense whatsoever.

Ask Orono and George Stevens if 2:30 PM games make no sense whatsoever.

https://www.foxbangor.com/bangor-local- ... o-darkness

I know "but the fans", but this time of year, if a game is played on a field with no lights, 2:30 is about the latest a game should start, given that the contest can not end in a tie. And as the article indicates, the teams can't just pick up where they left off--they have to replay the whole game from the start.
Rob Kennedy

Postby dunbar » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:30 pm

The default start time for a facility without lights is 2:00. With lights, it’s 4:00. Most of the time, schools will agree to a start time.

Soccer should follow suit with every other sport except Lacrosse and play the regional finals at neutral sites with turf, simply due to field conditions this time of year.
dunbar

Postby lovethegame » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:27 pm

twoseasons wrote:The games start earlier than the regular season because the days are shorter now than in early September.
Each half of a soccer game is 40 minutes. There is a ten minute break between halves, and if the game goes into double overtime, that adds 30 more minutes to the game. If the game is not resolved after the 2OT, the game goes to penalty kicks- which can take anywhere from 5 minutes to ? depending on how many are made.
This all means that a soccer game- especially one between the top two teams in the region- could potentially last longer than 2 hours. The sun sets around 5:30. Starting at game at 4:00 means it could be dark well before the game is over. Not every school has lights, and when a team finishes first, they deserve to host the game if their field conditions are playable.

twoseasons, thank you for pointing out the obvious. I was thinking more along the lines of portable lights. Many schools are starting to rent them. A 4:00pm or 5:00pm start, even at a school with no lights would be fine, considering the ease of renting portable lights. Pretty much every school charges an admission fee come tournament time, so the money to cover the light rental fee would be generated from ticket sales.

I'm on board with dunbar regarding using a neutral sight that's on turf with lights when it comes to the Regional Finals. It's time for soccer to up it's game with playoffs.
lovethegame

Postby wmtwsportsprod » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:14 pm

interesting out of the box idea....but i am not sure of the availability of portable lights on short notice....which the regional finals in soccer are.....the semfinal being the previous friday or saturday and then the regional finals on wednesday....i know football teams who bring them in for special night games plan weeks if not months in advance....
wmtwsportsprod

Return to Soccer (GIRLS): Maine High School & Amateur