Maine Amateur :: July 11-13.. Jack Wyman wins !!

Any pro or local talk about courses and events..

Re: Maine Amateur :: Brunswick Golf Club to host July 11-13

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:40 am

In the Crease: Unlucky 13 the difference between Wyman, Grindle

BRUNSWICK — Things were going swimmingly for Sam Grindle on Thursday at the Maine Amateur Golf Championship.

Until his ball went for a swim.

He was cruising. In fact, he was working on what would have been a comeback for the ages.

The first-round leader of the Maine Amateur Championship started Thursday’s third and final round five shots back of leader and eventual champion Jack Wyman. Two holes into the round, Wyman extended his lead over Grindle to eight with a pair of birdies while Grindle bogeyed No. 2.

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... le/2165666
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:42 am

Jack Wyman jumps ahead, holds off Grindle for first win

... "I wanted to stay aggressive all day today but it was a little more difficult than expected," Wyman said. "The mental aspect was pretty tough to deal with. Happy to grind it out like it was today."

Wyman's aggression early paid off. He made birdies on each of the first three holes to increase his lead to six strokes over Alvarez and eight over Grindle.

"Joey made one on (No. 2) right before me, and I had a good look at it. And making that really kind of made me settle in and say, 'OK, here we go, I got a good chance at this now,'" Wyman said.

"He was playing well, so it was going to be tough to catch him no matter what," Alvarez said. "But that early in the round you got to still think you got a chance."

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... in/2163748
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:04 am

Wyman holds on to win Maine Amateur by two strokes
Jack Wyman of South Freeport shoots a 2-over 74 in the final round to edge Deer Isle's Sam Grindle.

...Then his father, Terry, came over and hugged him.

And the applause began.

Wyman, a 26-year-old from South Freeport who plays out of Portland Country Club, birdied the first three holes Thursday morning and held off a charge by Sam Grindle to win his first Maine Amateur title.

Wyman shot a 2-over 74 to finish with a three-day total of 5-under 211, two strokes better than Grindle, the first-day leader who shot the only under-par round on Thursday with a 1-under 71.

“This couldn’t be any better,” said Terry Wyman, who caddied for his son. “It’s a very happy day.”

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/07/13/w ... o-strokes/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Previous

Return to Golf