Masters:: Patrick Reed holds on for first major title

Any pro or local talk about courses and events..

Masters:: Patrick Reed holds on for first major title

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:57 am

Finally, Woods back at Masters
It's usually quiet at Augusta National on Monday but Tiger Woods caused quite a stir.

...Woods teed off with Justin Thomas and Fred Couples shortly before 3 p.m. when thousands of fans were making their way toward the exit. Thousands more crowded around the tee, lined the first fairway and followed him down the par-5 second hole. Some of them rushed over to the third hole to stake out a spot. Most of them surrounded the second green, and they were responsible for all the noise when Woods chipped in from behind the green.

Any talk about this being one of the most anticipated Masters in years starts with one player. Woods is at Augusta National for the first time since 2015, at least with his golf clubs, and he showed during the Florida swing of the PGA Tour that he is more than capable of winning a fifth green jacket.

“When Tiger walked onto the range today, you can tell there’s an anticipation and an excitement from the crowd to watch him compete again,” Justin Rose said.

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/04/02/ ... t-masters/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Masters::

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:58 am

Bryan trying to make his own Masters memory
Wesley Bryan, a former trick-shot artist, hopes to take advantage of his local knowledge at Augusta.

...It one of Bryan’s first and fondest memories of the hallowed grounds.

“It went into the ‘my cool stuff drawer,’ ” Bryan said Monday. “Stuff that went into the ‘cool stuff drawer’ seemed to disappear over time when I moved a couple times and I first got married, so I’m not sure exactly what ended up happening to that golf ball. But I bet it’s somewhere. If I looked really hard, I could find it.”

If not, he should be able to replace it this week with better memories from golf’s first major of the year.

The 28-year-old Bryan will make his Masters debut a year after his first tour victory, at the RBC Heritage in his home state of South Carolina.

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/04/02/ ... rs-memory/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Masters:: Finally, Woods back ...

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:01 am

Firefighter sheds his day job this week as amateur at the Masters
Matt Parziale of Brockton, Massachusetts, qualified after winning the U.S. Mid-Amateur Championship.

AUGUSTA, Ga. — Matt’s Bucket Brigade doesn’t exactly have the ring of Arnie’s Army. But it will have to do until something better comes along to rally a following for the most appealing working man’s player at the Masters in just about forever.

Prizefighters, not golfers, come from Brockton, Massachusetts. Tough guys with crooked noses come from that blue-collar Boston suburb. Not guys with swing planes to die for. Certainly not guys who wear pastels and white belts.

Brockton firefighter Matt Parziale, on leave now from Ladder Company 1, has joined the one percenters this week. He has gone from running into burning buildings to sweating over five-foot downhill, sidehill putts. That’s not a push.

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/04/03/ ... e-masters/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:02 am

Bryan trying to make his own Masters memory
Wesley Bryan, a former trick-shot artist, hopes to take advantage of his local knowledge at Augusta.

...“It went into the ‘my cool stuff drawer,’ ” Bryan said Monday. “Stuff that went into the ‘cool stuff drawer’ seemed to disappear over time when I moved a couple times and I first got married, so I’m not sure exactly what ended up happening to that golf ball. But I bet it’s somewhere. If I looked really hard, I could find it.”

If not, he should be able to replace it this week with better memories from golf’s first major of the year.

The 28-year-old Bryan will make his Masters debut a year after his first tour victory, at the RBC Heritage in his home state of South Carolina.

https://www.centralmaine.com/2018/04/02 ... rs-memory/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:44 am

Masters notebook: Bus overturns on highway, driver charged with DUI
The bus was carrying 18 passengers who were headed to the first round of the Masters.

A charter bus headed to the Masters golf tournament overturned on a Georgia interstate Thursday, injuring 15 people and snarling traffic as scores of fans made the pilgrimage to one of the sport’s premier events. The bus driver was charged with driving under the influence.

The bus carrying 18 passengers crashed about 8:45 a.m. Thursday, just as fans were driving in for the tournament’s first round.

Sgt. Chris Wright of the Georgia State Patrol said the driver ran off the right side, then overcorrected and caused the bus to overturn in the median. Some passengers suffered broken bones and head injuries, Wright said, but none were life-threatening.

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/04/05/ ... -with-dui/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:52 am

Jordan Spieth in control at Masters
Finishes with 6-under 66 for first round lead at Augusta

...“I know as well as anybody that anything can happen at Augusta National,” Spieth said, a vague reference to the lead he lost on the back nine in 2016 that kept him from winning consecutive green jackets. “It’s about riding momentum from last week and this round.”

Woods, the main attraction in his first time back to the Masters since 2015, had a few bright moments and endless ovations in his round of 73. He felt he played better than he scored. He also knows it could have been worse, especially after dumping a 9-iron into Rae’s Creek on the par-3 12th hole and having to make a 15-foot putt for bogey and avoid falling to 4-over par.

Most aggravating was playing the par 5s without a birdie.

“Seventy-three is fine,” Woods said. “By the end of the week, this will be a pretty packed leaderboard the way the golf course is set up. They have it right where they want it. It’s really hard to run away from it, but it’s also really easy to lose it out there.”

https://www.centralmaine.com/2018/04/05 ... t-masters/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:18 am

Reed takes two-shot lead at Masters
Patrick Reed shot a 6-under 66 in the second round in search of his first major title.

...Reed, who has never seriously contended on a big stage outside of the Ryder Cup, had birdies on half of the holes he played Friday. That was more than enough to atone for the few times he got out of position, and his 6-under 66 put him atop the leaderboard for the first time in a major.

“I kept myself out of trouble and allowed my putter to do the work,” Reed said.

He was two shots ahead of Marc Leishman, who boldly took on a high risk when he hooked a hooded 5-iron around the trees and barely over the water on the par-5 15th to about 6 feet for an eagle.

Reed was at 9-under 135.

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/04/06/ ... e-masters/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:11 am

Reed takes 3-shot lead at Masters
Patrick Reed has a pair of eagles on the back nine and leads Rory McIlroy heading into the final round.

...And it sounded about as loud, too, especially with players taking advantage of greens slightly softened by the rain.

Reed ran off three straight birdies around the turn and stretched his lead to as many as five shots with his eagles.

He made a 15-foot eagle putt on the 13th, then he showed he was not in the mood to play it safe on the 15th. From just under 270 yards, as the rain made the air heavy, Reed hit a 3-wood just over the water and short of the bunker, and his chip from 80 feet slammed against the pin and dropped. Reed pumped his fist, the kind of

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/04/07/ ... t-masters/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Masters:: Patrick Reed holds on for first major title

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:45 am

Patrick Reed holds on for first major title at Masters

...“I just went out there and just tried to play golf the best I could and tried to stay in the moment and not worry about everything else,” Reed said.

Reed, who finished at 15-under 273, won for the sixth time in his PGA Tour career.

Until Sunday, he was best known for the trophies he shared at the Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup. He is ferocious in match play, especially the team variety, and his singles victory over McIlroy at Hazeltine in the 2016 Ryder Cup led to his nickname.

“He’s not scared. I think you guys have seen that previous from the Ryder Cups and the way he plays,” said Fowler, who closed with a 67. “He won’t back down. I don’t necessarily see him as someone that backs up and will let you come back into the tournament. You have to go catch him.”

http://www.sunjournal.com/patrick-reed- ... t-masters/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Return to Golf