Daytona 500: 2018

Maine auto racing talk, anything from NASCAR to off-road..

Daytona 500: 2018

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:29 am

Penske cars continue to dominate at Daytona
Ryan Blaney wins an opening qualifying race before Chase Elliott takes the second run for Hendrick Motorsports.

...DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. — Roger Penske has a car capable of winning the Daytona 500.

Maybe even three of them.

Penske again went 1-2 at Daytona International Speedway for its second sweep of Speedweeks. This time, Ryan Blaney went to Victory Lane after winning the first of two Thursday night qualifying races that are used to set the Daytona 500 field.

Chase Elliott won the second race in a Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet to put a temporary halt to the Team Penske dominance.

Joey Logano finished second to Penske teammate Blaney for the Ford sweep in the first race. Kevin Harvick was second to Elliott in the second race and Harvick was also in a Ford – proving the automaker has the same speed it did a year ago when it swept all four restrictor-plate races.

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/02/15/ ... t-daytona/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Penske cars continue to dominate at Daytona

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:15 am

Young drivers on rise in Daytona 500
With longtime stars retiring or without a ride, the race lineup has changed drastically in recent years.

...Three drivers under age 25 will start in the first two rows, new rules will make the cars difficult to drive and NASCAR’s longtime most popular driver will be on the sidelines.

NASCAR begins its season Sunday with the 60th running of “The Great American Race” and Alex Bowman on the pole.

Who? Well, the guy who got Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s coveted seat at Hendrick Motorsports when concussions forced Earnhardt to retire. Bowman is 24 and had washed out of NASCAR once before when he got the call to help during Earnhardt’s absence. Team owner Rick Hendrick gave him a car capable of earning the top starting spot for the biggest race of the year, and after nearly a full year out of a race car, Bowman will lead the field to green.

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/02/16/ ... ytona-500/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Daytona 500: 2018

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:53 am

Austin Dillon wins Daytona 500
On the 17th anniversary of Dale Earnhardt's death, Dillon wins in the No. 3 car.

...Dillon’s victory, in the 60th running of “The Great American Race,” came 17 years to the day after Earnhardt’s fatal crash.

Dillon wasn’t a factor in his Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet until the final lap in overtime when he got a push from Darrell “Bubba” Wallace Jr. that helped him get to leader Aric Almirola. Dillon spun Almirola then whizzed on by to give Childress, his grandfather, another iconic victory in the beloved No. 3.

“My grandfather has done everything for me and everybody knows it,” Dillon said. “There’s a lot of pressure on me to perform because I’ve had a little bit of everything. But I like that pressure, the same with the No. 3, there’s a lot of pressure behind it, but I’m willing to take it and go with it.

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/02/18/ ... ytona-500/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Return to Auto Racing