PASS finale at Oxford Plains Speedway set for Saturday

Maine auto racing talk, anything from NASCAR to off-road..

Re: Oxford Plains Speedway: Oxford 250... Sun. Aug 28

Postby Media » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:58 am

Brackett notches second SLM win at Oxford

TJ Brackett powered around the outside of early leader Shawn Knight on lap 20 and pulled away to claim the 50-lap Super Late Model Trophy Dash on Saturday night at Oxford Plains Speedway

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... rd/1978445
Sun Journal - allows 10 free reads per month for non-subscribers.
Media

Postby Media » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:02 am

Cody Childs a quick study in Rebel class

AUBURN — For years, we read about Billy Childs (Sr. and Jr.) and their exploits on the ovals. Then it was Jimmy, Bill Sr.'s son, who stole the headlines as he tore up the Mini Stock ranks at Oxford. Last year, we watched as Josh Childs claimed the Street Stock crown before moving to Super Late Models.

Now, a new member of central Maine's most prolific racing family is ready for his moment in the sun. Cody Childs, the 23-year-old son of Conrad and Kerrie Childs, is taking Oxford's Rebel class by storm in just his first full season of competition.

“I didn't even really plan to be doing this right now,” Childs said. “My father was going to drive this car last year, but his back condition won't allow it. He was going to sell the car, but last July he asked me if I had any interest in driving it. I told him I did, and we ended up winning a feature our third time out

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... ss/1976182
Media

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:24 am

Theriault Homecoming At Oxford 250

One of the most anticipated races this year is Sunday the 28th at Oxford Plains Speedway. Fifty five entries from primarily the northeast and the Maritimes were reported as of the 18th on the Oxford 250 website.

The race is a virtual who’s who in the Super Late Model ranks. Will Glen Luce become a repeat winner. Will the winner be a newcomer? All those questions will be answered late next Sunday evening. With $25,000 to win I am sure it will be exciting.

I am recruiting a couple of County guys who are making the trek, Derek Jepson from Caribou and Gary Saucier from Fort Fairfield to be my eyes in the grandstands and to get post race comments.

http://upnorthmotorsports.bangordailyne ... xford-250/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:01 am

OXFORD 250: Johnny Clark hopes this is finally his year
6-time Pro All Stars Series champ would like to add Oxford 250 win to his racing resume.

He’s won plenty of 250-lap races in his career, but it’s the one he hasn’t won yet that Johnny Clark thinks about the most.

On Sunday, Clark will join more than 70 other drivers when he tries to win the 43rd annual H.P. Hood Oxford 250 at Oxford Plains Speedway. With a guaranteed winner’s purse of $25,000 — plus plenty more in lap-leader bonuses — the race remains the crown jewel of auto racing in northern New England

And though the six-time Pro All Stars Series champion Clark has won the PASS 300 at Beech Ridge Motor Speedway four times in his career, the DNK Select 250 at Unity Raceway in 2004, the Toyota Tundra 250 at Wiscasset Speedway in 2008 and the Auto Value 250 at Speedway 660 in Canada, the Oxford 250 title is virtually the only one to elude him in his nearly 20-year racing career.

http://www.centralmaine.com/2016/08/22/ ... -his-year/
Central Maine (KJ + Sentinel ) - allows 10 free reads per month for non-subscribers.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Media » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:57 am

Oxford 250 driver seeking that final big step
Reid Lanpher, just 18, was second in the Oxford 250 a year ago but says he still has a lot to prove

And the end of the race is why Lanpher chuckles when he sees Oxford 250 predictions start showing up on social media in the weeks leading to the race. With more than 70 cars expected to enter, several rounds of qualifying and stout competition, the only thing predictable about the Oxford 250 is its unpredictability.

“I think it’s hard to really consider anyone (as a favorite),” Lanpher said. “The odds are definitely against you when 70 or 80 cars show up. You can’t count anybody in or out at this point. … Look at all the PASS wins guys like D.J. (Shaw), Joey Doiron, Mike (Rowe) have. I could list 10 of them that I’d put way up there before me.”

The only problem with Lanpher’s reasoning is there was only one guy ahead of him at the checkered flag a year ago.

http://www.pressherald.com/2016/08/23/o ... -big-step/
Portland Press Herald - allows 10 free reads per month for non-subscribe
Media

Postby DickPhillips » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:44 am

It’s quality over quantity for the Oxford 250 field
The race may not draw more than 100 drivers anymore, but those who do compete know how to win.

OXFORD — A group of 10 drivers, including one from the Pacific Northwest, gathered Wednesday at a quiet Oxford Plains Speedway to talk about their chances of winning the 43rd annual Oxford 250 on Sunday.

They represented a small percentage of drivers and teams who will seek to collect the $25,000 winner’s share.

“We’re going to have at least 60 cars on Sunday,” said Tom Mayberry, the Oxford Plains owner and Pro All Stars Series president. “I think we’re going to have a really, really good field.

http://www.pressherald.com/2016/08/24/i ... 250-field/
Portland Press Herald - allows 10 free reads per month for non-subscribers
DickPhillips

Postby DickPhillips » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:54 am

OXFORD 250: Reid Lanpher has something to prove
Manchester driver would like to top his second-place finish in the 250 last summer.

... Statistically, he’s enjoying a better overall season in 2016 than he did a year ago. Through the first eight races of the season at Beech Ridge, he had two wins and an average finish of 5.6 — nearly four full spots ahead of his average finish for last year when he rolled to the track title. With one points race remaining, Lanpher is third, 13 points out of the lead.

Beech Ridge will settle its championship on Sept. 3.

Until that date rolls around, it’s all eyes on the Oxford 250. Though Lanpher doesn’t have as much personal history with the race as some other drivers, last year remains one of his career highlights.

http://www.centralmaine.com/2016/08/24/ ... -to-prove/
Central Maine (KJ + Sentinel ) - allows 10 free reads per month for non-subscribe
DickPhillips

Postby DickPhillips » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:57 am

OXFORD 250: Drivers gather for Media Day at Oxford Plains
Drivers come from as far as Washington state in anticipation of 43rd Oxford 250.

... Mike Rowe, of Turner, one of only three drivers in history to win three Oxford 250s, believes the field this year could be as solid top to bottom as ever.

“You’ve got to get in, but there are 15 really good cars out there,” said Rowe, who owns 151 career feature wins at Oxford. “I think it’s sorted out a lot of them. A lot of guys who don’t think they can make it probably aren’t even coming. It’s not like it used to be when we’d have 110 or 115 cars trying to qualify, but anyone who gets into the show has got a shot to win.”

Rowe was joined at the race’s annual Media Day by defending Oxford 250 champion Glen Luce, of Turner; six-time PASS champion Johnny Clark, of Hallowell; and two-time Oxford 250 winner Travis Benjamin. Spencer Robbins, of Dixfield, who won the race in 2003, was also among those in attendance.

http://www.centralmaine.com/2016/08/24/ ... rd-plains/
Central Maine (KJ + Sentinel ) - allows 10 free reads per month for non-subscribe
DickPhillips

Postby DickPhillips » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:00 am

Oxford 250: Past winners Robbins, Luce look for a return to victory lane

OXFORD — Scott Robbins is getting that winning feeling again

The Dixfield native and 2002 winner of the HP Hood Oxford 250 has his sights set on another win in one of the biggest short track races in the country.

"A bunch of us were talking earlier about how time goes by so fast," Robbins said during media day for the 43rd running of the race at Oxford Plains Speedway on Wednesday. "To be back — we're racing full-time again — and to have a competitive car, I feel like we could do it just like we did 14 years ago. We'll see what happens on Sunday, but I think we got a good car."

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... ne/1981611
DickPhillips

PreviousNext

Return to Auto Racing