First Team Vs Freshman Team

post info & talk all things Soccer (BOYS)...

First Team Vs Freshman Team

Postby soccerrules » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:04 pm

It seems many schools have switched from having a Freshman team to having a first team- how has this move been received? If your school has made this switch how has it affected the participation level of your program and or the quality of your players overall- thanks for any insight
soccerrules

Re: First Team Vs Freshman Team

Postby interloper » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:03 pm

Although I coach track at my school and do have this decision to make, I think in the long run it helps. I feel what is does give you is a little more depth at the freshman/first team level. Let's say you only have 12-14 freshmen come out for your team, it is probably not good for some of them to play the entire game, especially since some of those players are not physically able to do so. If you take 2 or 3 players form your sophomore class it gives the coach more flexibility in subbing. Also we know that kids mature at different rates so some of those sophomores may be better off playing at a lower level. I do know that a few athletes will quit if they are put on the first team and they are not a freshman. I think it would be good for the coach to talk to them before they know they are placed on the team and let them know why the coach thinks this would be best for them.
interloper

Return to Soccer (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur