A state championship: Lewiston 1, Portland 0, OT 

post info & talk all things Soccer (BOYS)...

A state championship: Lewiston 1, Portland 0, OT 

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:22 am

Heartbreak for Portland; Bulldogs' quest for first title ends with OT loss to Lewiston

PORTLAND—Two very similar teams played nearly 90 minutes with absolutely no separation Saturday morning and something had to give.

That something was a rules interpretation and a fateful kick that spelled jubilation for the Lewiston boys’ soccer team and left the Portland Bulldogs in agony at the culmination of the Class A state final at Deering High School’s Memorial Field.

Two dynamic squads were expected to put on an offensive show, but good scoring chances were virtually non-existent, as Portland was able to possess the ball, but couldn’t solve Blue Devils junior defensive standout Henok Citenga, and at the other end, Lewiston couldn’t get the ball past Bulldogs senior goalkeeper Rowan Daligan and his defensive mates.

http://www.theforecaster.net/heartbreak ... -lewiston/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: A state championship: Lewiston 1, Portland 0, OT 

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:01 pm

Ali overtime goal lifts Lewiston over Portland in Class A state soccer final

...“I called Warsame’s name,” Othman said. “He’s short, but he jumps higher than the majority of the players on the team. I called his name, I was like ‘Warsame!’ and I kicked it to him. It went and it was perfect. The goalkeeper came out, he chipped it over the top of the keeper and it went in.”

The time from Ali’s header to the ball going across the goal line and into the back of the net took a few moments, with the ball rolling and bouncing through the box. Ali said he got “pretty scared” that a Portland defender might clear it away.

“Once it touched the net, that’s when I started going crazy and celebrating with the team,” Ali said.

The goal came on Lewiston’s fourth on-target shot of the game, with none of those coming in the first half. The Bulldogs (13-4-1) had just two in the first 40 minutes of what was a defensive battle.

http://www.sunjournal.com/ali-overtime- ... cer-final/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:19 pm

In the Crease: Lewiston's Lumu played for more than just a state title

...One by one, the stadium speakers boomed with the names of the Blue Devils’ forwards, midfielders and defenders. One by one, they accepted their medals from the coaching staff.

Lumu’s name never rang out. The public address announcer didn’t have the correct roster, and Lumu was among those who were omitted.

“Dido Lumu!” head coach Mike McGraw rasped, shouting through what was left of his voice while trying to project to the Lewiston crowd.

Lumu raised the photo in his hands, accepted the medal, and hugged his coaches.

“I’m just so glad, so happy to win,” Lumu said. “I dedicate this to my dad. He passed away on the fourth, the fourth of September, and this happened on the fourth (of November). “I’m just so happy this happened on this day.”

It was fitting, in a way, that Lumu’s name was among the missing Saturday — He wasn’t even on the Blue Devils’ varsity roster to begin the season.

“I was the JV goalie,” Lumu said, matter-of-factly.

http://www.sunjournal.com/in-the-crease ... ate-title/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:22 pm

Ali overtime goal lifts Lewiston over Portland in Class A state soccer final

PORTLAND — Golden cleats. Golden-dyed hair. Golden goal.

Warsame Ali put himself in the right spot with those cleats, used his head with that hair to re-direct a free kick and scored the game-winning goal for Lewiston in overtime to beat Portland, 1-0, in the Class A boys’ soccer state championship game at Deering High School’s Memorial Field on Saturday.

“I was right near the penalty box. I knew the keeper was going to come out right behind me because the keeper, during the game, he was following where the ball goes,” Ali said. “Eventually I knew the keeper was going to come out. After that I positioned myself where the keeper would come out so I could place it to the corner. So then the ball came, just flicked right over my head. I just hit it, tapped it a little, turned around, it was a goal.”

After an 80-minute scoreless stalemate, the game went to a sudden-death, 15-minute overtime. In the 10th minute of the extra period the Blue Devils (14-2-2) were awarded an indirect kick after officials ruled they had possession of the ball when the whistle blew for an injured Portland player. Nuri Othman took the free kick from 42 yards out.

http://www.sunjournal.com/ali-overtime- ... cer-final/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Lewiston vs Portland - Maine State Class A Final

Postby CubProd » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:37 pm

Watch Lewiston vs Portland - Maine State Class A Final (Full Game)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWt7_yYR3V4
CubProd

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:28 am

Somali parent: 2nd soccer title an educational motivator

...But the win did more than that, the older Abdi said. The win is a powerful educational motivator for young students.

Wearing a soccer shirt, young Abdi said he plans to become a Lewiston High School soccer player.

“I’m going to try my best not to fail any classes in school,” he said.

Fellow Longley student Abdi Ali, 9, is another who sees himself as a future Lewiston High School soccer player. He too has a plan.

“I will not fail my classes,” Ali said. “I will do my work, and stay focused.”

Most of the players on the championship team are from Lewiston’s Somali community. Many went to Longley, the older Abdi pointed out, including his son, No. 10. “They are examples that (the youngsters) can do what they did,” he said.

http://www.sunjournal.com/somali-parent ... motivator/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Return to Soccer (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur