Monmouth boys soccer win Class C South championship

post info & talk all things Soccer (BOYS)...

Postby MBRer » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:35 am

Greyhounds ride defense to uncharted territory

... "When people think about Lisbon, they think about the football team," Lisbon's junior goalkeeper said. "People are finally realizing that we are actually capable of winning playoff games. We hadn't been doing that in the past, so to start it this year is a good feeling."

Lisbon's football team usually has the sprawling athletic complex all to itself once the calendar flips to November. That changed last Saturday when Sautter and the third-seeded Greyhounds beat Waynflete on penalty kicks to clinch their first trip to the Class C South regional championship game.

They face top-seeded Monmouth on Wednesday at 2 p.m. in hopes of continuing their historic run.

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... ry/2022758
MBRer

Re:Monmouth wins Class C South championship

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:31 am

Own goal the difference as Mustangs edge Lisbon

... “We’ve worked real hard to get to this point, but it’s still emotional,” said Monmouth coach Joe Fletcher, whose team improved to 14-1-2. “We expected to be here, but to win it is challenging. And Lisbon certainly presented a lot of concerns for us.”

The victory was made sweeter by the way last year ended — at this same stage, but on the other end of a 4-0 drubbing by Waynflete. It was clear that that defeat was still on the Mustangs’ minds as they approached their chance to redeem it.

“Last year we got beat soundly by Waynflete, and it was a new experience for us. We didn’t know what to expect,” Fletcher said. “Were they four goals better than us? I don’t think so, but we weren’t prepared mentally.”

http://www.centralmaine.com/2016/11/02/ ... mpionship/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Monmouth boys soccer win Class C South championship

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:14 am

Mustangs beat Greyhounds for 1-0 win, first berth in C state title game

... Third-seeded Lisbon, which was making its first appearance in a regional final, finishes 10-4-3.

Senior midfielder Hunter Richardson made the fateful throw-in not far from the back line 9:29 into the game. The throw went over Lisbon goalie Jonah Sautter and off of a Lisbon defender before going into the net.

"We knew that Jonah is an aggressive goalkeeper. Our biggest player, Travis Hartford, he did well blocking his view," Richardson said. "I figured I'd throw it to the goalie, make him have to make the play. If it gets loose, somebody will be right there to tap it in. I happened to throw it over his head and one of their players put a touch on it, so it counted."

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... me/2023255
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Return to Soccer (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur