KJ Girls Tennis Player of the Year: Ellie Hodgkin, Erskine

post info & talk all things Tennis...

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:19 am

Sophomore showed a senior's leadership in guiding Eagles to Class B playoffs.

...“Her biggest value to us — and I told the whole team this over and over and over again — is that … she’s the one that drags my No. 3 and my first doubles teams to the indoor courts at Erskine or wherever they can go to play,” he said. “She’s the one that will call them on Saturday and say ‘Hey, who wants in?’ Where she improved dramatically … her teammates improved, because she’s the one that got them to hit and to hit with her.”

The work paid off. With Hodgkin leading the way at first singles for the second straight season, Erskine went from 5-7 to 9-3, making the Class B North quarterfinals. For her performance, Hodgkin is the Kennebec Journal girls tennis Player of the Year.

“My freshman year, I was a little bit nervous about being first singles on the team, considering I had just come in,” said Hodgkin, who went 8-4 during the regular season. “(But) sophomore year, knowing I’d be first singles again unless a really good freshman came up … I had to take on more of a leadership role in first singles, so that’s what I did.”

http://www.centralmaine.com/2017/07/02/ ... n-erskine/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Return to Tennis: Maine High School & Amateur