PPH: Boys’ tennis player of the year: Nick Mathieu, Mt. Arar

post info & talk all things Tennis...

PPH: Boys’ tennis player of the year: Nick Mathieu, Mt. Arar

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:28 am

PPH: Boys’ tennis player of the year: Nick Mathieu, Mt. Ararat
The senior was a four-year singles finalist and two-time state champion.

...“He’s a good athlete who could have done anything,” said Mt. Ararat Coach Don Foley. “He could have played lacrosse, baseball. His brother is very good at track. But (Nick) concentrated on tennis. That’s what he wanted.”

In four years, Mathieu went 85-2. He lost only to Brendan McCarthy of Falmouth in 2014 and Isaac Salas of Waynflete in 2015. He plans to continue playing at Colby-Sawyer College in New Hampshire and study business with a concentration in finance and a minor in biology.

“My goal going in (to high school) was to win all four, honestly,” he said. “I figured it was good to aim high. I’d still do well even if I didn’t reach it.”

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/06/25/b ... mt-ararat/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: PPH: Boys’ tennis player of the year: Nick Mathieu, Mt.

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:30 am

PPH Boys’ tennis: Telegram All-State team
Five seniors, two sophomores and a freshman make the list.

...Nick Forester, Falmouth sophomore: An ambidextrous player who returned from a knee injury to lead Falmouth to the Class A state title, he reached the final of the singles tournament and extended defending champ Nick Mathieu to three sets in a hard-fought championship match.

Matthew Jarmusz, Morse senior: Jarmusz advanced to the singles quarterfinals before falling to No. 3 Dariy Vykhodtsev. He helped lead Morse to a 12-2 record and into the Class B South semifinals. In four years of team play, he never lost a match.

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/06/25/b ... tate-team/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Return to Tennis: Maine High School & Amateur