Class A States: Falmouth boys, Falmouth girls win !!

post info & talk all things Tennis...

Class A States: Falmouth boys, Falmouth girls win !!

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:19 am

Hampden Tennis Edges Bangor in Playoffs

CLASS A NORTH QUARTERFINALS
BOYS
HAMPDEN 3, BANGOR 2

GIRLS
HAMPDEN 3, BANGOR 2
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: A North: Lewiston tennis teams power into regional final

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:37 am

Lewiston tennis teams power into regional finals

...Lewiston coach Anita Murphy knew her doubles tandem had a shot Saturday.

"I talked to them and said, 'I know they are undefeated and your goal should be to try to beat them this time,'" Murphy said. "You felt like you should have won. They should have won the first time around, they were up four-love in the second set, but (Hickey and Jackson) came back and won it. That was a good lesson for them, but they are good, not to take anything from Mt. Blue, they are a great team. That's why they were undefeated."

Lewiston's second doubles of Maddy Foster and Zahara Shidad had a much easier time, winning in straight sets, 6-0, 6-1, against Mariel Damon and Hallie Pike.

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... ls/2142521
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:52 am

Girls tennis: Blues Devils have a balance of young and experienced players

...The 2016-17 season was a new experience for Murphy as her seven-player varsity roster features four seniors and three freshmen.

"There's always something new every year," Murphy said. "Every year something new comes up. And you know what? That's what keeps it interesting in coaching and that's why I keep coaching. I enjoy and I love the girls and they are greatest group of girls, they get along so well and they respect each other."

Coming into the season, Murphy didn't know how the dynamic would work, whether the seniors would be like black bears and reject their young or be like mother hens.

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... rs/2142525
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:43 am

Travis Lee‏ @TLee_WMTW
Brunswick tops Lewiston 3-2 in A North girls tennis to advance to states. @LHSBlueDevils @COACH_RAM
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:24 am

Brunswick girls and Lewiston boys claim A North championships in tennis
- http://www.wmtw.com/article/brunswick-g ... is/9986374
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: A North: Dragons finally get past Blue Devils

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:13 am

A North Girls' Tennis Final: Dragons finally get past Blue Devils

...In contrast to the slow starts to their first doubles sets, Smith and Kunhardt finished strong, winning the final five points of the tiebreaker.

"I think mostly we just dug deep," Kunhardt said. "We were, like, 'We've got this.' We'd beaten them twice before."

"We just had to focus," Smith said.

"(Experience) makes all of the difference in the world," Brunswick coach Rob Manter said. "I had two seniors out there. Lewiston had two freshmen. They handled themselves very well for freshmen, but you could see the difference in terms of how (Brunswick's seniors) were calming down and hitting key shots."

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... ls/2143855
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:14 am

A North Boys' Tennis: Blue Devils win second regional title in a row

...The Blue Devils (13-2) advance to Saturday's state final at 10 a.m. at Colby College, where they will face the winner of Thursday's A South final between Thornton Academy and Falmouth.

"It feels awesome knowing that you're playing in a state championship," Smith said. "I knew that my match could be the one that decided it and I just wanted to get that win."

First singles Cole Ouellette and first doubles Asier Garcinuno and Ben Ferrence also picked up victories for the Blue Devils.

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... ow/2143861
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:40 am

Tennis: Brunswick girls rally to win Class A North title
The Lewiston boys claim the regional crown, also by 3-2 score.

...“It was such a big match, which really stressed us out,” Kunhardt admitted. “Mostly we just dug deep and said, ‘We’ve got this,’ because we had beaten them twice before (in the regular season). So we were like, ‘We can do it.’ ”

Indeed, the two seniors swept the final five points of a tiebreaker Tuesday to beat Lewiston freshmen Molly Chicoine and Roslyn Wailus 6-4, 7-6 (7-2), and clinch the regional title 3-2 over the top-seeded Blue Devils.

In the Class A North boys’ final, No. 2 Lewiston avenged a pair of regular-season losses by beating No. 1 Brunswick 3-2 when Caden Smith pulled out a 6-7 (7-5), 6-3, 6-4 victory at third singles over Luke Estabrook of Brunswick.

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/06/06/t ... rth-title/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:53 am

Falmouth, Waynflete sweep regional titles
The Falmouth girls and Waynflete boys extend their dynasties as the Yachtsmen and Flyers send both of their teams to the state finals.

...“We always start off super slow,” Hyland said, to which Cooney added without hesitation, “Oh, every time.”

That didn’t change for Falmouth’s No. 1 doubles team in the Class A South final Thursday at Bates College. But as they do so often, Hyland and Cooney recovered and helped second-seeded Falmouth defeat top-seeded Thornton Academy 4-1 to win its 10th consecutive regional title.

The Falmouth boys also advanced to Saturday’s state finals, knocking off defending state champion and top-seeded Thornton, 3-2. Both Falmouth teams and both Thornton teams went into their matches with 14-0 records.

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/06/08/t ... pionships/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: A:: Falmouth girls aiming to serve perfection

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:49 am

Falmouth girls aiming to serve perfection
Since 2008, it's been many games, sets and 156 matches – the fifth-longest winning streak in the country.

...Hosting a team dinner Wednesday on the eve of the regional finals, Falmouth High senior Kate Kelley had to think hard when asked about The Streak.

“We were like, ‘Oh, we hit a hundred when I was a freshman. Have we hit 150?’ We didn’t really know,” she said.

For the record, the Falmouth girls’ tennis team has won 156 matches in a row, a streak that began in 2008 and ranks fifth in the country, according to the National Federation of State High School Associations website.

Falmouth is 15-0 and plays Brunswick (13-2) for the Class A state title at 10 a.m. Saturday at Colby College in Waterville. A victory would give Falmouth its 10th straight state championship, breaking a four-way tie in high school tennis circles for consecutive state titles.

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/06/09/h ... erfection/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Next

Return to Tennis: Maine High School & Amateur