Warren Miller dies at age 93

post info & talk all things Skiing...

Warren Miller dies at age 93

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:35 am

Warren Miller, whose films celebrated thrill of skiing, dies at age 93
His films served as informal kickoffs for the ski season for more than 60 years.

SEATTLE — Warren Miller, the legendary outdoor filmmaker who for decades made homages to downhill skiing that he narrated with his own humorous style, died Wednesday night at age 93.

His family said in a statement that Miller died of natural causes at his home on Orcas Island in Washington.

A World War II veteran, ski racer, surfer and sailor, Miller produced more than 500 films about a variety of outdoor activities, including surfing and sailing. But he was best known for his films featuring skiers barreling down breathtakingly steep slopes.

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/01/25/ ... at-age-93/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Warren Miller dies at age 93

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:04 am

On skiing: Remembering Warren Miller

News from the U.S. Ski Hall of Fame that Warren Miller had died on Jan. 24 triggered a string of memories, mostly of times when I was fortunate enough to meet him and actually ski with him.

The first time was in the early 80s, on a trip to Vail. A friend and fellow ski writer, Craig Altschul had moved into the marketing position at the resort and, realizing how beneficial having the world’s preeminent ski filmmaker headquartered there, had Miller spending most of the season at Vail. He also knew how important the eastern skier market was to his company so he immediately started bringing ski writers from the East to Vail.

At the time, I was also doing TV ski reports for Channel 8, so Craig arranged a taped interview with Miller. He was as interesting as his narratives that went along with his films and the response I remember most came after my question, “After 38 straight years of producing a new ski film every year how do you maintain your enthusiasm?”

He answered: “It’s simple, I look at life through the eyes of a 14 year old.”

http://www.sunjournal.com/on-skiing-rem ... en-miller/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Return to Skiing: Maine High School & Amateur