Nordic skiing: Low numbers strengthening Oxford Hills' bond

post info & talk all things Skiing...

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:31 am

...“The last four or five years we haven’t had the numbers,” Easton said. “We’ll go on breaks with having no freshmen. It’s been difficult. For a long time I was getting four or five kids from the middle school every year … For a long time, a small team was 20.”

Heading into the 2017 season, Easton has eight skiers: five girls and three boys. Indoor track stole away senior Dominic Sclafani, and senior Graham Huckins decided not to compete this winter. The Vikings also lost a couple of seniors.

There are a myriad of reasons Easton can think of as to why the Nordic ski numbers are so low, including popularity of the sport and declining middle school numbers.

“I don’t know if the kids don’t want to do the physical work,” Easton said. “Whether it’s social media. I know I have had kids in the past who would rather play videos games. The other thing I have found, too, is if they can’t be immediately successful at something … a lot of the time I have kids in the last 10 years who see people who have been skiing since they were little kids and think, ‘OK I want to be that good.’ They then put skis on for the first time and they don’t get it in a couple of days and they’re like, ‘I’m done, I don’t want to do this.’ I’m like, ‘Wait a minute, they’ve been skiing for 10 years and you’re giving it three days?’ There’s a lot of that instant gratification that happens.”

http://www.sunjournal.com/nordic-skiing ... ls-closer/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Return to Skiing: Maine High School & Amateur