Maine Sports Hall of Fame Announces 2017 Class of Inductees

post info & talk all things Skiing...

Postby MBRer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:03 am

... Leslie Bancroft-Krichko skied for the U.S. Nordic team at the 1980 Olympics in Lake Placid and at the 1988 Olympics in Calgary, where she placed eighth in the 4x5km cross-country relay. Krichko also excelled at World Cup competitions. At Oxford Hills High School, Krichko won cross-country state crowns as well as skimeister awards. And at the University of Vermont, Krichko was an All-American competitor.

Tom Reynolds built a competitive alpine ski program at the University of Maine Farmington over the course of 30 years. In addition to guiding his squads to four collegiate alpine championships and three Canadian-American collegiate championships, he has multiple coach of the year honors. Reynolds, a certified instructor, was an associate coach for the U.S. Ski Team.

Anna Willard, of Greenwood, Maine, set the U.S. women’s record for the 3,000-meter steeplechase at the 2008 U.S. Olympic track and field trials. The Olympian was a standout at Telstar High School, Brown University and the University of Michigan. The diverse middle-distance runner is a multi-time U.S. champion and a 2007 NCAA Outdoor Champion.”

http://wabi.tv/2017/01/10/maine-sports- ... inductees/
MBRer

Re: Maine Sports Hall of Fame Announces 2017 Class of Induct

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri May 19, 2017 4:55 am

Maine Sports Hall of Fame: Bancroft rode passion, competitive spirit to two Olympics

... The Maine Sports Hall of Fame will honor Krichko's unlikely journey to the Lake Placid Olympics, her similarly remarkable comeback that propelled her to the 1988 Olympics in Calgary, and her role as one of high school girls' cross country's pioneers in Maine, when she is inducted with the Class of 2017 on Sunday.

In Krichko's words, she was a greenhorn when she competed in three Nordic events at the 1980 Olympics. She grew up in an Alpine skiing family and didn't take up cross country skiing until her freshman year at Oxford Hills, which also happened to be the year the school started its girls' Nordic program.

Krichko was recruited to the team by sisters who had moved from Andover and wanted to start a team at Oxford Hills. It was clear from the start that the Vikings would be starting from scratch.

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... ills-two-o
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Maine Sports Hall of Fame:

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat May 20, 2017 6:03 am

12 people to be inducted into the Maine Sports Hall of Fame this weekend

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/05/19/s ... s-weekend/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Maine Sports Hall of Fame Announces 2017 Class of Induct

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat May 20, 2017 6:30 am

Tom Reynolds glides into the Maine Sports Hall of Fame

...“It is unimaginable,” Reynolds said. “I am not all about me, you know what a I mean. People have been good to me. You are working for somebody who can help you.”

The 84-year-old gentlemanly Mainer has no intention of slowing down anytime soon.

“I will continue to do clinics, but I am not going to hang on and work for a ski school,” Reynolds said. “I have worked for Sugarloaf from the time I left UMF (University of Maine at Farmington) until we moved to New London, N.H.”

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... me/2132608
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Return to Skiing: Maine High School & Amateur