Class A Tournament: States 6/17 Messalonskee vs Massabesic

post info & talk all things Lacrosse (GIRLS)...

Re: Class A Tournament Thread:

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:40 am

Messalonskee girls lacrosse survives scare from Portland
Defending Class A state champs fend off Bulldogs late.

...“We have a bunch of different scorers,” Pickett said. “I can count on passing it to an attacker and they can take (goal opportunities), too.”

The Bulldogs — who missed the playoffs last season — would not go down without a fight. They slugged back with four unanswered goals of their own, three from Caitriona Moran, to pull within 13-11 with 11 minutes to play.

“We’re a young team, so we’ve got a lot of (offensive) options, because we’re still growing,” Portland coach Beth Broderick said. “We don’t have that one superstar. We’ve got a lot of folks who are happy to move the ball around and look at the goal. We had a lot of guys score today, which was great.”

http://www.centralmaine.com/2017/06/07/ ... -portland/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:02 am

Hawks book semifinal rematch with Thornton

...As the first half approached a close, Marshwood held a 5-3 lead but were beginning to press looking for breathing room. Smith scored with 1:54 left, giving the Hawks a 6-3 lead.

“We were standing around a bit,” said Marvin. “They called a timeout after our sixth goal and that gave us a chance to talk about our need to get our feet moving and play our game. The girls played outstanding after that.”

Olivia Melton upped the lead to 7-3 a minute later, and 28 seconds after that, Smith weaved in front of the goal and scored off a bounce making it 8-3. With five seconds left, Luci Albers scored on a transition give-and-go with Smith to give the Hawks a 9-3 lead.

http://www.fosters.com/sports/20170607/ ... h-thornton
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:24 am

Thursday June 8 MPA scheduled games
A North semifinal: #3-Lewiston vs. #2-Windham, 3:30 p.m.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:32 am

MBR: GLAX Scores & Recap Links from June 8
Windham 6, Lewiston 1
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:40 am

Windham reaches Class A North final
Mya Mannette scores four goals in a 6-1 victory against Lewiston.

...“(The four goals were) good but I really couldn’t have done it without my teammates,” said Mannette. “We’re really good at sharing the ball. If we weren’t good at that, then it would have been hard for me to (score four goals) for my team to get that win.”

Lewiston closed within 3-1 but went short-handed with 43 seconds left in the half when Hannah Dickinson made contact with Mannette’s head. On the ensuing play, Mannette delivered her second goal to give the Eagles a 4-1 lead.

“The majority of (Windham’s) goals were after a penalty was called. I don’t know whether it was our discipline or tighter calls on one end over the other. It was tough to recover from that (goal),” said Lewiston Coach Brant Remington.

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/06/08/g ... rth-final/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:04 am

Schedule for Friday, June 9, 2017
A North semifinal: #4-Cheverus vs. #1-Messalonskee, 5:30 p.m.

Schedule for super Semi-Final Saturday - June 10
A South semifinal: #3-Thornton Academy vs. #2-Marshwood, 1 p.m.
A South semifinal: #5-Gorham vs. #1-Massabesic, 7 p.m.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:27 am

MBR: GLAX Scores & Recap Links from June 9
Messalonskee 12, Cheverus 7

TV
Messalonskee Girls, Oceanside Girls and Gardiner Boys Reach Lacrosse Region Finals
http://wabi.tv/2017/06/09/messalonskee- ... on-finals/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:52 am

Messalonskee reaches Class A North final
The Eagles take control early and defeat Cheverus, 12-7.

...On Wednesday, Messalonskee fell behind No. 8 Portland early and had to rally to avoid the upset. In a first half played in a steady rain Friday, Messalonskee made sure that didn’t happen again.

The Eagles scored twice in the first five minutes, and goals by Lauren Pickett and Kaitlyn Smith ensured they never trailed.

“We worked on (starting well) a lot in practice,” said Pickett, who scored six goals and assisted on one. “We came out and really did it today.”

“I think the last game scared the girls enough to come out pretty strong, which is good. We’re getting closer to the end, which I think is helping the girls get on track. This could be it if we don’t play hard. The girls are getting energized,” Leavitt said. “(Cheverus is) very fast, a high-pressure defense. We knew we had to come out fast and set the tone for the game.”

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/06/09/g ... rth-final/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:12 am

Marshwood slips past Thornton, 4-3
Lucy Albers scores a key goal in the final minutes as the Rams top the Trojans and advance to the Class A South regional final.

...Albers scored what proved to be the winning goal with 4:25 to play after a penalty. She came from the left side and cut sharply to the middle for a point-blank shot, giving Marshwood a 4-2 lead.

“I really wanted it. I wanted that goal, and I knew where I wanted to put it and I just focused on putting it there,” said Albers.

“In a game like this when you go down 4-2, it feels like you’re down 20,” said Thornton Coach Craig Agreste.

Albers, a senior midfielder, assisted on the opening goal of the game, setting up Zoe Janetos with 16:25 remaining in the first half.

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/06/10/g ... rnton-4-3/

**********************************************************************************************************************
Amsden, Hawks check Thornton
...Thornton’s Amanda Cyr sliced Marshwood’s lead to 4-3 with 45.6 seconds remaining, but Marin Smith won the ensuing draw and Paige Singer picked up the ground ball, allowing the Hawks to milk the rest of the clock.

Marshwood (11-3) advanced to Wednesday’s regional championship, where it meet top-seeded Massabesic (13-0) for the second straight year. Massabesic beat No. 5 Gorham, 4-1, on Saturday to advance.

“Thornton is a great defensive team, but we also pride ourselves on defense and we knew whoever made the least amount of mistakes would win, and whoever recovered faster from their mistakes would win,” Singer said. “I think that’s why we won the game today.”

http://www.fosters.com/sports/20170610/ ... k-thornton
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:46 am

Regional Finals:

Wednesday, June 14, 2017
A North regional final: #2-Windham vs. #1-Messalonskee,
A South regional final: #2-Marshwood vs. #1-Massabesic,